Water in Hull of Champion Bass Boat

patenglish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1990 Champion Bass Boat. After fishing one day, I pull the drain plug and water poured from the hull. I have since experienced the same problem every time I am in the water. This weekend, I plugged the inlets to the livewells, at the transom, and no water came into the hull. When I came home, I plugged the inlets and filled the livewells with water, thinking they might be leaking, or a hose was leaking, and neither of the wells leaked. What can I try next? I am puzzled.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Water in Hull of Champion Bass Boat

First thing i would do is level the boat, install the plug, and fill it with water. This way you are checking the hull first. Pay close attention to where the boat sits on the trailer rollers. Once confirmend the hull is secure it should be a simple matter of finding the leak. regards fred

patenglish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by pine island fred:<br /> First thing i would do is level the boat, install the plug, and fill it with water. This way you are checking the hull first. Pay close attention to where the boat sits on the trailer rollers. Once confirmend the hull is secure it should be a simple matter of finding the leak. regards fred
Since I plugged the inlets to the livewells and did not take on any water wouldn't this eliminate the hull leaking?

Bondo

Staff member

I would Gess that the Leak is between the Livewell Inlets,+ the Livewells........

Ron G

Commander

Do have intake pumps it could be a hose leking ,i had a leak i thought,turned out to be the airator hose was rotted off.try those first and your overfill tube.

patenglish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have eliminated the hoses being the problem by plugging them at the transom and filling the livewells. I did not think about the hose going to the fill pump. That might be the culprit, because the water can not get to it from the livewells. I will check it out.

dtherrien

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check all your thru-hull fittings for gasket or sealant failure.I had a similar problem on a previos boat and it was 2 fittings on the transom that i narrowed it down to.When i pulled them apart it was easy to tell where my leak was.

patenglish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by dtherrien:<br /> Check all your thru-hull fittings for gasket or sealant failure.I had a similar problem on a previos boat and it was 2 fittings on the transom that i narrowed it down to.When i pulled them apart it was easy to tell where my leak was.
When I install the plugs, it doesn't leak. That would eliminate the fittings.

Ron G

Commander

Did ya find the leak?

patenglish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by Ron G:<br /> Did ya find the leak?
I removed the gas tank and found that one of the livewell valves was leaking. I cleaned and tightened the valve and it has not leaked a drop since.