Water in gear unit

kat-a-tonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How do I remove the shift rod from the lower unit, and is there not supposed to be a gasket between the lower unit and the upper leg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No gasket between lower unit and exhaust housing.-----Lower unit MUST come apart to remove the shift rod.

kat-a-tonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so the drive shaft just slid right out of the gear unit, should it come out that easy or should there be something to keep it from just sliding out, and the drive shaft also has a resessed area around each end that looks like an O-ring should fit on does anything go on this area

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The drive shaft slides right out on that motor , nothing hold it !-----As mentioned before there is an o-ring at the top splines but nothing in the groove for the bottom spline !

kat-a-tonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK so I started tearing down the gear unit but have only been able to get three of the screws out, I have been soaking the other three with PB Blaster penetrating oil but so far they haven't come loose, is it too risky to use an impact driver to try to break them loose

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK so I started tearing down the gear unit but have only been able to get three of the screws out, I have been soaking the other three with PB Blaster penetrating oil but so far they haven't come loose, is it too risky to use an impact driver to try to break them loose

Try using a manual impact screwdriver. Tap tap tap till they come loose.
Good luck and let us know how you got that shift shaft seal off.

kat-a-tonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
yay, the impact driver worked, I got the screws loose, hopefully tomorrow I will have time to remove the gears and shift shaft and get the bushing and O-ring out

kat-a-tonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, the seal behind the prop didn't leak when I did the pressure test, but sense I have the gear unit disassembled should I go Ahead and replace the seal and O-ring or just leave it alone

kat-a-tonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yippee, the bushing was actually a breeze to remove, I cant remember which post I read it on but someone said a drill bit extension could be used to remove it,and it worked, just turn the unit upside down and the top part of the extension is the perfect size to fit into the hole against the bottom of the bushing and a few firm smacks with the hammer and it comes right out

kat-a-tonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, sense the quickest and easiest way to get the seals I needed was to order the whole kit for the gear unit I figure I might as well go ahead and just change them all, my question is, sense I have the gears out of the housing would a wheel puller work to pull the prop seal off the shaft.

AlTn

Commander
are you trying to get the gearcase head off the propshaft or the seal out of the gearcase head?

kat-a-tonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Yeah when I got home and looked it over I realized it was a pretty stupid question, the seal out of the gearcase head is what I need but after watching a few videos I think I have it figured out, but the gearcase head is a little beat up around the edges I was wondering if it is ok or it needs replacing, I am going to try to post a pic. the seal seems to fit in it ok

Attachments

• photo220417.jpg
    photo220417.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 0

kat-a-tonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The seal kit and impeller for the lower unit are supposed to be in tomorrow, before replacing the seals I was thinking of cleaning the whole lower unit inside and out real good with gas, is this a good idea or should I just use some rags and clean around were the seals go

kat-a-tonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, finally got all the seals replaced, did preasure check and there are no leaks, tomorrow will be the real test, I'm taking it to the river and run it awhile, I want to thank everyone for all the great advice and help with this little adventure, I don't know if I could have done it without you all and it saved me a bunch of bucks being able to do the work myself,