Water in gas?

mike-the-cobra

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bare with me, if I am asking any dumb questions. I posted yesterday about my maiden voyage disaster, boat died a couple minutes into it. I am now thinking water in gas? I took it to the shop yesterday and now I need to call them.

The reason I suspect that is because I emailed the previous owner and he said the same thing happened in the spring. The shop drained the tank, rebuilt the carb, and replaced the gas cap.

I did check the water/gas seperator (cannister type) and that is where the my question lies. Not being exposed to this device at all the question is;

When I removed it it was full to the top almost (should it be?). I poured it into a clear glass. Appeared to be gas, but now I am doubting myself (I already dumped it). Smelt like gas, but in retrospect it wasn't extremely strong smelling. Brownish / yellow in color. Small clear bubble on the top which I thought was maybe the water, but duh, the water would be on the bottom.

Just trying to do a sanity check and get some more information on the water/gas seperator

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Water in gas?

Not sure if it was gas or water? Seeing as you dumped it already, it will be hard to tell.

Wait to see what the shop says. If they find water in the tank then there is a leak or the source of fuel is contaminated (common at marinas). If its being filled at regular gas station, chances are less of fuel contamination.

Pick up a few replacement cartridges for the filter, you will need them if the water issue is not resolved right away.

Keep us posted on what the shop finds.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Not for nothing but:

How old is the fuel in the tank?

The boats been sitting for a long time. - When fuel comes out of the canister of an inline filter it should be the same color it was when it went in.

If its a different color than either the oil tinted it (non auto oiling), the tank or lines are disintegrating from ethanol fuel or it's expired fuels because its too old.

Whats the tanks made of? Aluminum - Steel - Plastic - Fiberglass

mike-the-cobra

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gas not old, boat was being used, it was on the water when I bought and test drove.

OK, so help me out here with the gas/water filter;

1. I assume the water goes to the bottom and the gas stays at the top?

2. Filter will slowly fill with water until it is full of water and the boat dies?

3. Do you empty the filter on a regular basis? Should I be emptying it before I go out every time? Every other time? a Couple times a season? (boat is used maybe 4-5-6-7 times a season).

4. Does it have to be changed just because you empty it out?

5. If not, change filter once a year?

This is my first experience with this, my Bayliner 20 years ago didn't have one, and my last boat was an outboard which didn't have one.

PS, gas (topped it off with 5 gallons) was purchased at a very busy Marathon in the suburbs.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

The filter element should be changed yearly. IF you have that much water in your fuel I'd invest in a real water seperating filter, the kind with a built-in clear bowl with a drain on the bottom. This way you can visually monitor it, drain it when there's excess and only open it up yearly.

If the filter you own fills with water the engine WILL die, and usually at the worst possible moment.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

don't "empty" and refill the filter; that mixes the water and fuel.
Brownish yellow sounds like phase seperation to me. Although you added new gas, if the tank wasn't dry and cleaned, the old stuff is on the bottom and sucked up first by the pick-up.
If you use the boat only 7 times a year (season) then replace it at the beginning of the season.