Water in fuel

Jhayes780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys there’s a ton of water in my fuel tank. What’s the easiest way to clean it. Was thinking add another water fuel separator in line letting the water settle to the bottom of the tank then pumping it out till I get better looking gas adding the separator and calling it good? Any issues with that? Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Letting the water settle to the bottom of the tank is a good idea. Now siphon from the bottom of the tank, into a clear container. One of those "shake-shake" siphons work's well. You should let the clear container settle and you should be able to see the different layers. If in doubt, a splash of 2 cycle oil will color the gasoline and alcohol, but not the water.

After you get out most of the water, as much as you can, a single water separator can be used. Remove after running a while and dump into a clear container and see how much water remains. Repeat the empty of the water separator on a regular basis until the water is gone or nearly so.

alldodge

Staff member
^^^ Agree
Will add once water is out the gas will probably no good to use.

airshot

Rear Admiral
FYI....I picked up a small 12v inline fuel pump off Amazon for 12 bucks, added an inline filter and a couple lengths of fuel line , does a great job of pumping out fuel tanks. Filled a 5 gallon can in about 10 minutes...sure beats siphoning. !!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, my shake-shake siphon will siphon 6 gal of fuel in 5 minutes or less. It has quite a large diameter capacity and doesn't require electricity and lasts for decades.

How old is the gasoline? If it is not too old, it should be fine to use after the alcohol/water mix is out of the tank.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I think before you do anything you need to determine the source of the water.

flashback

Captain
FYI....I picked up a small 12v inline fuel pump off Amazon for 12 bucks, added an inline filter and a couple lengths of fuel line , does a great job of pumping out fuel tanks. Filled a 5 gallon can in about 10 minutes...sure beats siphoning. !!
I have done this, I had a piece of copper soft pipe so I could access the lowest end of the tank.thats where the water settles..

airshot

Rear Admiral
I have done this, I had a piece of copper soft pipe so I could access the lowest end of the tank.thats where the water settles..
Good idea, I had some old solder, so wrapped a few wraps around the end of the line and it seems to keep it low in the tank. When I get all I can out, add another gallon and slosh it around then suck that out. So far so good...

Jhayes780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks everyone for the help. I just siphoned it. Installed a water fuel separator. And put in some of the stable that is supposed to help with wanter. Am I good to run it anyone think?

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks everyone for the help. I just siphoned it. Installed a water fuel separator. And put in some of the stable that is supposed to help with wanter. Am I good to run it anyone think?
How old is the fuel? Is it ethenol free or regular pump gas. Us not knowing what you have is hard to call. But, If you don't know condition of the fuel, then the safe money is on getting it out and putting in new.

alldodge

Staff member
Stabil is to keep old gas sort of new while setting over the winter, it won't make bad gas good

Try it, if motor runs ok then your good, if it doesn't then it all has to come out and need to empty filter and carb again