Water in fuel tank

nikkels

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 22, 2006
Messages
1
boat was flooded and I think that water got into the tank, Not sure how much is in there(between 0 to 5 gal in a 20 gal tank)?? I did start and ran sputteringly. I have h20 in my carburator covers. Was wondering what I need to do ? drain... what do I do with gas? replace fuel filter... If particles got into the tank, do I clean it and with what?...Would someone please assist me. Any help/ideas would be helpful.
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: Water in fuel tank

Hi, welcome to iboats.

Yes, drain out all out.
Probably have to take it to a hazardous material collection site, or contact an oil change or home fuel oil company, they might take it.

Since you ran it, and the water is in the carb covers, you will want to remove the float bowls from the carbs, and clean them out.

You should get (borrow) a portable gas tank and fill it with good fuel.
Attach the fuel line, and force open (or remove) the fitting from the engine end. You can usually keep it open with a plastic zip tie. Now squeeze the primer bulb to pump the contaminated fuel out of the hose.

Did water flow into the carb and into the powerhead?
Better safe than sorry.
Get the engine running as soon as possible to expel the water from inside, and coat the effected surfaces with oil to prevent rusting.

OK, now tell us how the boat got flooded. :^ d:)

And for future use, please always tell us the make and model of the motor we are talking about.

Post back if you have more questions.
 
Top