Water in fuel system

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer
Per my other thread: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=320856
I talked to my mechanic today and he said it sounded like water in the fuel system. I have already ordered a new fuel filter, I'm going to pull the water separator and check its contents for water. So, if I swap the fuel filter, water separator and treat the fuel, what else should I check? This is a 2007 Mercruiser 5.0L with Bravo III (1A068210). Does anyone have a part number for the water separator? I can't locate it in the manual.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Water in fuel system

How much fuel and how do you plan on "treating" it?

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

I have two tanks, one is empty. The other, the one I last ran off of for about 15 minutes total before it died, has about 20 gallons in it. I thought I would start with a fuel additive for water in fuel. Other ideas welcome too. My mechanic said he could pump the tanks out and scrub them to clean them. I will probably have them do that too.

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How is the mechanic going to "scrub" the inside of the tanks?

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

"How is the mechanic going to "scrub" the inside of the tanks?"

I would assume they would pump it out then use a type of chemical "scrub" and then pump it out again. I didn't get all the details on it since I'm a bit away from having them do it.

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it is only water you are trying to get out try tilting the boat on the trailer to get the water to settle at the fuel pick up tube. Then attach a 12 volt dc electric fuel pump to the fuel line and pump it into an external tank to get the water out. These 12 volt (external to fuel tank) universal fuel pumps are at many automotive parts stores. Some tanks you can see the water settled an the bottom looking through the fuel level sending unit cut out--- using a flashlight. You may have to block bright light behind you when looking into the tank but it works for me. After that install a good fuel water separator and dump it after each boating trip until the water no longer seems to be an issue.
FYI don't use silicone sealants when putting the sending unit back on, use a new gasket.