Water in fuel issue?

oldbayliner

Recruit
Recently purchase a 1984 Bayliner with the AQ260A engine(GMC 350). Runs fine at lower throttle, but struggles trying to go above 2500 RPM. So last fall I had the prop reconditioned and it ran like a top, easily up to 40MPH and 4200 RPM. But this spring it is back to the issue described earlier. Put about 20 gallons of ethanol-free premium gas and 1.5 cans of seafoam in this spring but it is no better. Sound like water in my fuel tank? It was close to empty when I put it up in the fall. Is there a preferred and safe way to drain the tank if water is expected?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... It's got a fuel filter don't it,..??

If so, dump it's contents into a clear jug, 'n see what's comin' outa the tank,.....
Change the filter, 'n see if it runs stronger,.....

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The 84/260 came with a small water/separating filter down low near the fuel pump. Just about everyone I've seen had this removed and a larger one installed somewhere else??? Maybe??
Check for water in both?

The 260/225, the distributor has a spark advance inside, consists of spring and weights. These rust up and the motor won't rev like it's supposed to.
Clean the dist.

oldbayliner

Recruit
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... It's got a fuel filter don't it,..??

If so, dump it's contents into a clear jug, 'n see what's comin' outa the tank,.....
Change the filter, 'n see if it runs stronger,.....
Thanks, yes I did remove the filter and dumped it, but didn't check for water. Will do so again but check for water. It's the old canister style with the internal filter. I'm finding you can't find replacements for these anymore so am planning to change this out to a newer setup. If anyone has experience or suggestions for doing this I'd welcome any comments.