Water in bottom cylinders v6 Evinrude 175 hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water in bottom cylinders v6 Evinrude 175 hp

I never noticed the small arrows. Water up the middle and down the sides. Got it.
Fortunately, the weather has been cooperating quite nicely, temp around -2 to 0 c, that's just around freezing. Good enough for me in my unheated garage. Headed there shortly.

If the deflectors come in one piece and I have to cut them, I could cut them the same length as the old ones and trim at the cylinder head. Again, do they butt up against the back wall or do I leave a certain gap?

Butt up against the back. They [OEM] are precut.

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After closer inspection, the deflectors do not butt up against the hole that I see. The small hole is about 2.5" away. There's a lip at the same length as the deflector, that's where it butts up against. Had I looked closer with a flashlight like I did today, I would not have asked the ?

That darn exhaust plate is getting the better of me. Bought a mallet. I've got the plate loose all around except for the bottom starboard corner, it just won't budge. I'm worried I'll break something if I pry too hard. Any tricks anyone? I'm sure I've got all the bolts loose.

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I was SURE I got all the bolts out!!!! My buddy (who's quite savvy mechanically) was over tonight and we had a few "sodas". Before he left I asked him to have a look at my exhaust plate to see if I had missed something.
In about two minutes he spotted a bolt (with a shallow head) on the bottom starboard corner. Note: (There is no bolt on the bottom port side of this exhaust plate, only on the bottom starboard side, probably why I didn't look for it).

As is was late, I didn't attempt to tackle it but I'm sure once I get this bolt out, the exhaust plate will release. Why there is only a bolt on the starboard side, that I'm not sure. Maybe once I get it all apart it will be obvious.

If anything, this thread will serve others trying to perform the same task.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

When you get the inner exhaust cover off you will need to check it closely. These castings have a tendency to leak cooling water through small holes in the casting. Casting porosity is common in them-right from the factory. So: I'd check it by putting water on the casting when level and check for leaks, and put a light on one side and check for visible light on the other. If you find any porosity, any aluminum welding shop can fix it in a few minutes.

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Finally got everything off, in the cleaning mode now. Thanks to all for your help so far.

SM

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Couple of questions:

Attached are 2 thumbnails.

One shows where I am with the removal of the exhaust parts so far. The arrows are pointing to some bolts. There are 3 on each side. Should I be removing these bolts to remove those "parts" for clean up? What are these 2 parts called?

The other pic I'm highlighting the fact that there is a deficiency, the top arrow indicates a crack and the bottom a shift in the piece of metal. Any idea what my have caused this and what needs to be done?

Thanks again,
SM

Attachments

• DSCF0986.JPG
    DSCF0986.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0987.JPG
    DSCF0987.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 0

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The baffles should not have any holes in them but if they pass inspection, I would not remove them; the replacement kit [Exhaust Filler Block Replacement Kit # 0392061] is $464.27 US. The three bolts that hold each piece are brass and they are more likely to break off than not.

Aerosol Heavy Duty Easy Off will clean; Wear gloves, protect your eyes, don't inhale and cover any paint.

That particular hole where the crack is does not go anywhere. I would fill the hole and file it smooth so the gasket will seat well. Looks like water froze in there.

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The baffles should not have any holes in them but if they pass inspection, I would not remove them; the replacement kit [Exhaust Filler Block Replacement Kit # 0392061] is $464.27 US. The three bolts that hold each piece are brass and they are more likely to break off than not.

Aerosol Heavy Duty Easy Off will clean; Wear gloves, protect your eyes, don't inhale and cover any paint.

That particular hole where the crack is does not go anywhere. I would fill the hole and file it smooth so the gasket will seat well. Looks like water froze in there.

Thanks ezeke,

What would you recommend to fill the hole? J B Weld, liquid steel or something similar?

Also I'm planning on changing the orange 0-rings at the bottom of the exhaust plate. Someone suggested I will need to remove the powerblock to do this in order to line it all up. That's seems like a major undertaking.....

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Thanks ezeke,

What would you recommend to fill the hole? J B Weld, liquid steel or something similar?

Also I'm planning on changing the orange 0-rings at the bottom of the exhaust plate. Someone suggested I will need to remove the powerblock to do this in order to line it all up. That's seems like a major undertaking.....

J B Weld should work. I sometimes use Pig Aluminum Repair Putty for work like that if I don't want to take it to the welder.

If I had all of my surfaces really clean, new gaskets and a good sealer, I don't think that I would pull the powerhead.

I would rebuild the thermostats though.

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Water in bottom cylinders v6 Evinrude 175 hp-Water deflectors

Re: Water in bottom cylinders v6 Evinrude 175 hp-Water deflectors

These water deflectors are no longer available from the Evinrude dealer that I'm dealing with. I went to my local boat shop and bought a length of rubber hose of the same diameter and installed them.

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To ezeke

To ezeke

I uploaded 2 pics. One of the inner plate exhaust gasket (applied to the exhaust baffle) and the other pic are instructions.

Question 1: When they refer to coating both sides with a sealer (which I have now), do they mean all areas which mate with the baffle and around each bolt hole or just around the perimeter and around each bolt hole?

Question 2: The instructions are not clear to me. I paid $ 70.00 cdn for this gasket and I don't want to mess it up. They state that engines with water passages with o-rings need to modify the gasket. My engine has these water passages but I don't understand their explanation. I colored the dotted lines in red, is this what I have to cut out? Something seems strange here?

Thanks a lot,

SM

Attachments

• inner exhaust  plate gasket.JPG
    inner exhaust plate gasket.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 0
  • instructions.JPG
    instructions.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 0

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Went back to where I bought the gaskets and spoke to the mechanic. Basically he told me to trim around so the o-rings won't interfere with the gasket. In other words, remove exactly what I had traced in red.

Well I finally fired her up today,hooked up with water ears. No leaks, motor started easy and sounds better than ever. Ran it for 10 minutes in the yard. Shut it down and waited an hour to cool it down. Re-torqued the heads and the exhaust cover. Didn't gain much on the heads (maybe 1/16 of a turn). Gained about 1/4 turn on the exhaust cover bolts though.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

SM

Last edited:

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The internals of the engine don't like water, so you are correct to want to resolve this issue. There is an inner and outer exhaust cover gasket. The inner is a pretty sophisticated one. Replacing the exhaust cover gaskets on a bubble back is unusual. Technically, the powerhead should be removed when the exhaust cover is removed. The flat bottom of the exhaust cover must be exactly parallel to the flat bottom of the block or you can get an exhaust leak around the rubber oring. Not easy to do without removing the powerhead to insure the alignment is correct. The bottom exhaust seal is an oring which must be replaced also. Check the inner exhaust cover for porosity. These old castings can leak water into the exhaust chest, so do a water test on the casting before reassembly. I agree on the retorque.

Should have perhaps asked this question before re torquing but here goes anyway. Should I have backed off the bolts prior to re torquing because I didn't. Like I mentioned, I didn't gain much on the heads, more on the exhaust cover. Should I go through the sequence again with backing off the bolts?

Tks and this thread is pretty much a done deal.

SM

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Should have perhaps asked this question before re torquing but here goes anyway. Should I have backed off the bolts prior to re torquing because I didn't. Like I mentioned, I didn't gain much on the heads, more on the exhaust cover. Should I go through the sequence again with backing off the bolts? .............. SM

No.

Hocker

Recruit
So do you think it was the deflectors,or the gasket. I have the same problem. Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
So do you think it was the deflectors,or the gasket. I have the same problem. Thanks

9 years ago this may have been a good question. Today, it isn't. Please start a new thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.