Water in boat

1990_Bayliner

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I bought this boat few weeks ago,it's a 1990 Bayliner capri 1800 open bow. 2nd time taking it out and have noticed some water coming out of the drain hole after each time of use. I don't recall of any water splashing in and do not see any deep gouges underneath the hull. I also took a picture from inside at back where the fuel tank is located and looks to me like the floor is rotten at "where the drain plug is located". Any suggestions where the water might be coming in? How hard would it be to fix the rotten area? I checked the strength of it and it is not soft it is very hard underneath especially.

Thanx for your help!

zach103

Commander
Re: Water in boat

can you post that picture?

how much water is coming out of the boat when you pull it out of the water?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello 1990 ..

Check your Drain fitting .. then If you have any through hulls underwater..

Also remove and recaulk with 4200 ALL screws going into your transom ( transducer and screws..speedo and screws if applied etc )

You might want to consider removing and recaulking ALL snap screws for your bimini or cover while your at it..

YD.

PS. Look for any cleats or fittings that have silicone smeard around the hardware .. those are suspect from the PO.

Bifflefan

Commander

the floor is rotten at "where the drain plug is located".

You may have a rotted transom, letting the drive flex it and letting in water. Or just a bad bellows.

Without a really good inspection by someone that knows what they are looking for it can be had to find.

Friscoboater

Captain

I had the same problem, and it was a bad transom. Check out my thread on how I fixed it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Geez guy's......... scaring the hell out this poor guy! :eek:

Follow Yacht Dr's advise first ;)

Let's take things one step at a time

1990_Bayliner

Seaman Apprentice

Thanx for your help everyone. I have posted some pictures of the problem. The transom is very sturdy and hard there are no major cracks at the transom. Please check out the photos and maybe we can come to a conclusion on this!

www.gts1.00show.com

Thanx again!

1990_Bayliner

Seaman Apprentice

Anyone? Please help I have posted pictures I need to know what is the right approach about this? As you can see the transom looks very good. The only issue is where the drain plug is. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

www.gts1.00show.com

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hmmmm, YOU say the transom looks very good, based on your pictures, I say the transom looks very bad. We have a dilema. It appears from your pictures that your transom has some rot going on around the drain tube. The black area looks like molded fiberglass and that is not good. Take a 3/8 inch drill bit and drill some 3/4 inch deep holes into the transom at various places in and see if you get light brown, dry shavings or dark brown wet shavings. I'm betting on the latter. If it is the latter you are going to have to replace the transom. There are plenty of threads on the forum to help guide you through the replacement process.

I'm just sayin...:D

1990_Bayliner

Seaman Apprentice

Your picture here:

http://www.gts1.00show.com/images/1990-3.jpg

is what a rotted transom looks like :(

Darn it! I guess I did not get a good deal afterall:mad:. Does anyone know how to remove the top fiberglass portion that sits over the fuel tank in the back? Or am i going to have to crawl inside that little opening where the fuel tank is? I never worked with fiberglass before and I do not know if I am capable of repairing that on my own? Could I maybe do a patch repair? Does anyone have the transom replacement for 1990 Bayliner step by step with pictures? I will keep taking pictures steb by step to keep everyone posted of my project and maybe you guys could help me and guide me through the process? Thanx for all your help guys.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If your boat is in otherwise good condition, you may be a great candidate for a SeaCast or Nidabond pourable transom repair. Basic steps would to remove the motor, remove the transom cap, use an electric chainsaw/prybar/shop-vac to remove the rotten material, fill the cavity with SeaCast. Do a search for SeaCast on here.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Remove the Drain Plug and go from there..........

Poke poke the wood from your drain plug fitting...then update...

YD.

1990_Bayliner

Seaman Apprentice

The update is: Pictures will follow. I have siliconed all the areas around the holes at transom where water escapes where the outboard engine is. Around the mount fittings of the engine. I also siliconed the trim on the side all the way around the boat. I siliconed the surrounding of the drain plug in the back. My question is where the cables come out in the back there is a rubber boot approximately 3" long but water can easily get in there i looked from inside and nothing is sealed from inside where the cables are coming out? Any suggestions with that one? Time to take a long screw driver and unscrew the drain plug and start poking the rotten fiberglass:eek: hopefully my boat does not fall apart.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hmmm, I don't think Silly Kone is the right product for this application.
If you can poke a screwdriver into the transom you need to replace it.

I'm just sayin...:D

Friscoboater

Captain

I once heard on this board that silicone is for home, and has no use on a boat. If it is really a rotten transom, you should replace it, or the engine could come off. Check out the video below. It is what happens when you run a boat with a rotten transom. The engine comes off, and it sinks.

Based on your pictures, and the fact that it is a 20 year old bayliner, I would bet the transom is rotten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9KDg1vaLGU

1990_Bayliner

Seaman Apprentice

I once heard on this board that silicone is for home, and has no use on a boat. If it is really a rotten transom, you should replace it, or the engine could come off. Check out the video below. It is what happens when you run a boat with a rotten transom. The engine comes off, and it sinks.

Based on your pictures, and the fact that it is a 20 year old bayliner, I would bet the transom is rotten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9KDg1vaLGU

I actually will replace the transom with new fiberglass I just sealed from outside the areas as seen in the pictures on my website since I really want to find out where the water is coming in. Check out new pictures! www.gts1.00show.com

Friscoboater

Captain

Actually you do not replace the transom with fiberglass. The transom is wood under the fiberglass. You have to split the boat in half and remove the wood, and glass in new wood. If you have a rotten transom, you need th check the stringers too.