water in boat???

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class
i took my boat out today ran great, went to take out of water looked in the storage compartment in the floor ( where you store skis) and there was water in there is this supposed to do that?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: water in boat???

No they should not take on water. Tell us more about your boat. I/O? OB? IB? How long have you had it? Is this the first time out this year? Are you sure the water wasn't there from storage? Do you store bow up, with the plug out?

ziggy

Admiral

is this supposed to do that?
nope. short of forgeting the plug or leaveing it outside in the rain, bow down. bellows, and shift cable bellows seem to be usuall for getting water intruision into yer boat. i've read of the seal on the transom shield also sometimes leaking.
ya should probably find where it's leaking. a bellows leak could sink ya.....
ya may have to look close to find it. but it needs to be found....

qc makes a good point. ob or i/o or inboard?

Last edited:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Uh, no pic . . .

Use the attach feature, quicker to learn.

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class

ahpa one I/O merc is always under a carport neaver in the rain, yes first time take it out this summer

45Auto

Commander

Was there water in the bilge (under the engine) also? Never seen a ski locker that wasn't connected to the bilge to allow it to drain. If your ski locker drain is plugged and you had wet people climbing in and out of the boat it could have easily had water in it that couldn't drain.

Raise the nose, make sure the ski locker drains, get all the water out, then put it back in the water looking closely for leaks in the engine compartment. That's where the water would have to come in to get into the ski locker (unless wet people got it in there like I said above).

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class

would this cause a problem?

Attachments

• SSCN0036.JPG
    SSCN0036.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 0

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class

no there was no water in bilge when i took the plug out no water came out at all

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class

well we was not swimming at all just crusing aound the ski area is carpeted too

QC

Supreme Mariner

OK, just so you know I wasn't simply picking on you, there was not an attachment when I first looked . . .

If the water is not reaching the bilge, and you are positive, then the water did not come from the bilge either which is good. I still believe it might be left over from storage then. Can sideways rain get in there? Seriously, if you are 100% positive that water cannot get from the bilge area around the engine and to the locker then that takes the engine and bellows out of play (good). However, I would not trust that. Are you sure the bow was high enough to get water to drain back to the engine bilge area and that nothing came out with the plug out? Very, very important question.

Also, when all is done, you need the locker to drain to the aft bilge . . .

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes sideway rains can get in the boat, but before i took the boat out the there was no water becausei put my ore in there before i left. when it is parked the boat is not raised up while stored, but they was no water came out the bilge when i pulled it out of the water the boat was actually out of the water on the trailer when i noticed the water in there. thanks for the help

QC

Supreme Mariner

OK. Can water get from the locker to the bilge? If you go out there now and fill the locker with water, and jack the bow up will it drain into and out of the engine compartment? This is very important. Just because it didn't come out on the ramp right away doesn't mean it can't find it's way there. If there is no transfer, then there is either a hole in your boat, you took water over the bow or sides, or it was in there when you put the oar in and you didn't see it. Otherwise it came from a loose drain plug or we may be dealing with a U-joint or shift bellows. Are there any other thru hull fittings? I don't really care about screws into the hull, only stuff that goes all the way through. Could also be a loose coolant line . . .

oops!

Supreme Mariner

youve got some weird stuff goin on there.

first of all, when the boat is on the trailer ....before you drain it.....look under the boat to see to see any drips.

water ingress from the motor area, of thru hull's or leaks, in the transom area will be in the bilge.

so the water is trapped in the locker area. that means a couple of things.

you have to un block it, so the water can drain to the bilge, where it can be pumped out.

then when the boat is in the water, have a really good look....so i guess after you clear the bilge channel....its back to the lake for you :)

45Auto

Commander

My Bayliner had a forward bilge that drained through the ski locker (ski locker was the area between the crossmembers). If yours is similar and was stored bow down or level it is possible it had water from storage in the forward bilge. You wouldn't see it if you put the oar in while the bow was down. It still should have drained out into the engine bilge though.

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class

i went outside and rised the boat a poured a bucket of water in the locker and water came out through the blilge unde engine

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class

im just wandering how water got in there, because the lake was calm,and im 100% sure they was not any water in there when i left for the lake

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class

im going to take it out later again and see if it does it again.