Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
Boat overheats on muffs in driveway.
Any ideas why?? 😂
Screenshot_20230522_123310_Facebook.jpg
Remove if not allowed. Just trying to lighten the mood. 😉

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Welp….. just finished replacing my impeller and complete housing, along with the thermostat. usually run it at home in the spring. This year at the cabin. You guessed it. Not enough water flow. Ugh.

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
Welp….. just finished replacing my impeller and complete housing, along with the thermostat. usually run it at home in the spring. This year at the cabin. You guessed it. Not enough water flow. Ugh.
Tough in remote locations. Fill a 55 gallon rain barrel leave hose running into it and pump to the muffs. Might be just enough reserve

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Tough in remote locations. Fill a 55 gallon rain barrel leave hose running into it and pump to the muffs. Might be just enough reserve
Problem solved. complete new housing and thermostat. In the lake it went.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If the hose is not providing enough water to the muffs, how would it be any better/different, if the muffs were still on, with the motor in a Barrel?

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
If the hose is not providing enough water to the muffs, how would it be any better/different, if the muffs were still on, with the motor in a Barrel?
Ok, it was just a thought.
Motor is not in the barrel. Barrel is full to start, hose is left running in the barrel with sub-par flow, transfer or submersible pump from barrel to muffs with length of garden hose to outdrive. Barrel acts as a reserve to provide enough water to run long enough. Depends how much is going in vs how much is pumping out.
Of course theory only works if pump provides enough flow to begin with.

Wow, that seems more complicated than I envisioned

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
The best test is to dunk it ion a lake. You will know if the impeller is working along with everything else. In my case I usually use the hose at home. This time I used the hose at the cabin which surely did not have enough flow.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So if I get a strong "pee" stream, any need to check the impellor?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
So if I get a strong "pee" stream, any need to check the impellor?
Depending on how old the Impeller is, and/or if it has been run dry? An dry brittle Impeller with vanes about to break can still move a lot of water.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Depending on how old the Impeller is, and/or if it has been run dry? An dry brittle Impeller with vanes about to break can still move a lot of water.
Don't know when it was last changed, I had her for the last 2 years and didn't do it. I'll likely change it for the peace of mind.