water diverters

Jayrock

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1992 200 Evinrude.

Ok, It seems I did not put the water diverters in the cooling passages when I did the rebuild on my motor. The manual did not mention the diverters at all. I just bought a new manual at a screaming deal, and reading through it I see the mention of water diverters. My 1992 has open deck cooling design, but the water diverter locations are for the closed deck design. How do I get the diverters to stay put in the 1992 cooling area, if I even need the diverters in this year Crankcase at all? Thanks all... Jason

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer
Re: water diverters

1992 200 Evinrude.

Ok, It seems I did not put the water diverters in the cooling passages when I did the rebuild on my motor. The manual did not mention the diverters at all. I just bought a new manual at a screaming deal, and reading through it I see the mention of water diverters. My 1992 has open deck cooling design, but the water diverter locations are for the closed deck design. How do I get the diverters to stay put in the 1992 cooling area, if I even need the diverters in this year Crankcase at all? Thanks all... Jason

I think you answered your own question.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Keeping it simple..... The "Crossflow" engine require the water deflectors. The "loop Charged" engines (yours), do not.

Jayrock

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think you answered your own question.
Umm,no I didnt...
OMC mentions the diverters IN THE OEM MANUAL FOR THESE ENGINES. If diverters are not intended for those motors, why would OMC mention the diverters? I would rather ask the question than overheat MORE pistons. Which was the reason I had to rebuild in the first place. It looks like there is a small recess in the bottom of the cooling area to accept a diverter, but there was never any in there when I disassembled the engine the first time.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Jay..... Could you scan and send me the page you speak of that mentions a "diverter"? Any manual and parts book that I have (Factory OMC Manuals) call those items "water deflectors", and they are only used in the crossflow models.

If your manual is one that covers a few different models, I could understand that mention, but if it is indeed a OMC manual which covers just your specific model, a 1992 V6 Evinrude 200hp (Looper), then I am quite puzzled by that mention.

Just now, I double checked my manuals on the 1992 200hp looper V6 model to refresh my memory...... no water deflectors exist in that engine.

Jayrock

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jay..... Could you scan and send me the page you speak of that mentions a "diverter"? Any manual and parts book that I have (Factory OMC Manuals) call those items "water deflectors", and they are only used in the crossflow models.

If your manual is one that covers a few different models, I could understand that mention, but if it is indeed a OMC manual which covers just your specific model, a 1992 V6 Evinrude 200hp (Looper), then I am quite puzzled by that mention.

Just now, I double checked my manuals on the 1992 200hp looper V6 model to refresh my memory...... no water deflectors exist in that engine.

Diverters, deflectors, you know what I mean. I was just taking pictures to send you, and I noticed that this manual is a 1995 manual, and it does not cover my engine model, even though it says "ED" 90deg Service Manual, and nearly all aspects of those motors are identical to mine. That is why they mention the "Deflectors." Makes sense now. I have lots of respect for the knowledgeable people on here, especially you Joe. I have learned a lot from you about the motors, and take your advice over most anybody. Thank you for making me look a little deeper, I have a 1995 manual for sale =)

boobie

Supreme Mariner

They started using water diverters in 1993 and there were 3 in the block which was a closed deck design. 1992 was open deck and no diverters or deflectors. Deflectors were used in cross flows only. Diverters were made of plastic and deflectors of rubber.