Water coming out of very top of drive when on muffs

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,
last week I took the top off the drive to look in there and check thisgs out. Yesterday and today I took the lower drive off and replaced the water pump, housing, seals even the sleeve that goes between the water pump and the intake tub which the last person had the conector piece backwards, so it was just sitting in there, and the whole shabang, and yes I remembered the little gasket where the lube travels through. I got everything hooked back up and put the drive back on. I applied the muffs, turned on the water, and then water began to come out of the top of the drive, luckily not into the gear area, but just straight back through where the cover attaches to the top of the drive. Does anyone have any idea as to what I did wrong, and what I need to do to fix it?

Thanks,
Eric

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Water coming out of very top of drive when on muffs

What drive? Year?

Did you put a new oring on the cap after removing it?

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh yeah sorry, its a Alpha One Gen 2. I did not replace the o ring on the top because I thought it looked ok, but Im going to guess that you are going to tell me looks can be decieving and to replace it.

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh, and its a 92

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just put the new O ring on and same issue :facepalm:

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Seem to be missing the "stuffer plug" according to service manual. Does this make sense?

Don S

Yes, it should have the plug, plus sealer as shown on page 3A-45 of the manual.

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Don,
I am guessing the plug was never there because I sire don't know where I put it and do not remember ever seeing it. I am also having issues with finding one online to purchase so I will start calling around.

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not sure sine there is no pic, but thanks for checking. It sems to be a somewhat rectangular plug that goes just under the top cover next to the bearings

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Eric...just for fun, go to www.crowleymarine.com Go to the parts page, enter your year and drive info, and up pops an exploded view of your drive with part numbers and prices. I believe www.mercruiserparts.com does the same type display. Let me knwo what you think. (you'll want to look at driveshaft housing and drive gears page).

KB

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey KB,
thanks, I just looked at that before coming back to here. I saw the exploded view on Crowley Marine, but the one thing I need when i place the curser on it, it does not give an option for purchasing or even a part number, very frustrating, I'll try the Mercruiser site now

Don S

Here is what the 861738 plug looks like.
496727903_tp.jpg

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That has to be it, I just did found it on the mercruiser parts site for the same price and then the $16 shipping, does say the part is limited and no longer in production but still selling it so at least it does exist somewhere. Thanks everyone that put the time and effort in to give me a hand with this. I swear I'm going to be a regular boat mechanic by the time I get this thing all together. ;)

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just found the part for .57 at Offshore Wake with free shipping! AWESOME!!!

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have not put the part in yet but I did get one, and after looking all over online for it and seeing crazy shipping fees for a cheap part I called the marina right next door and they had tons of them, so if anyone ever needs one let me know and I'll get one to you