Water coming out between power head and lower unit

carlasdaddy

Cadet
I recently replaced the impeller on my ad-12 outboard motor. I re-attached the power head with a new gasket and torqued screws to 84 inch-pounds. I also installed a new cork gasket on the driveshaft seal assembly. When I started up the motor in a barrel of water, water started gushing out between the power head and lower unit. Should I have sprayed both sides of the power head gasket with something like high-tack spray-a-gasket? Any ideas with what's going on here?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Notice core plug #47 in the top of the head. There is another one in the bottom of the head. Very common for the bottom one to rot out. Not necessary to remove the powerhead to replace it. Simply remove the lower rear cowl for access.

core plug.jpg

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
could be one of the powerhead freeze plugs (aluminum/silver color unless painted over). Sounds like a lot of water, but might be a badly warped head. You might pull it back off and resurface it on a level surface (piece of glass works) with wet/dry paper.

carlasdaddy

Cadet
I found the problem - missing welch plug on underside of cylinder head. I replaced the welch plug and problem solved.