Water coming in boat! New to me 1992 Bayliner

The story.....based on information found here, last week I bought a 1992 Bayliner 4.3 Capri with a 2yr old block and motor rebuild. My first boat and I paid $3500. Couple trips out, all went well just noticed kept getting water beneath motor. Bilge water out, still more shortly thereafter. Noticed seemed to resurface quicker while sitting still. Tonight while in my driveway I filled water to bottom of oil pan. Water leaked out of the two carriage bolts on lower transem. The bolts were loose and where easily pushed in. Such carelessness! However I can't easily get to the nuts to tighten due to the motor.

Question: is there a trick to tightening these carriage bolts? Or does the motor have to come out?

I am so frustrated.....wanted to take it out a couple motor times before it gets to cold.

Thanks
Terrell

svxtech

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Water coming in boat! New to me 1992 Bayliner

Trick is being a contortionist. How long can you stand on your head before you pass out? :D BTW put some goo around them, if it's going to work at all w/o a new seal...

cyclops2

Banned

IF that does not stop the water.

Have a mechanic checkout the big exhaust bellow & the shifter cable seal on the drive.

Bondo

Staff member

The story.....based on information found here, last week I bought a 1992 Bayliner 4.3 Capri with a 2yr old block and motor rebuild. My first boat and I paid $3500. Couple trips out, all went well just noticed kept getting water beneath motor. Bilge water out, still more shortly thereafter. Noticed seemed to resurface quicker while sitting still. Tonight while in my driveway I filled water to bottom of oil pan. Water leaked out of the two carriage bolts on lower transem. The bolts were loose and where easily pushed in. Such carelessness! However I can't easily get to the nuts to tighten due to the motor.

Question: is there a trick to tightening these carriage bolts? Or does the motor have to come out?

I am so frustrated.....wanted to take it out a couple motor times before it gets to cold.

Thanks
Terrell

Ayuh,... Ya gotta pull the motor to tighten those bolts...

Btw,... They don't just loosen by themselves,...
Chances are, you've got a Rotten Transom...

Ayuh,... Ya gotta pull the motor to tighten those bolts...

Btw,... They don't just loosen by themselves,...
Chances are, you've got a Rotten Transom...

You are right...today took a second look at the bolts and was able to pull them right out. Both bolts did not have the nut on them and bolts were rotted and broken. Therefore I believe the remaining part of the bolt is still inside.

Dropped it off at a repair shop. He said most likely the transom was rotted. Additionally, he pulled upward on drive, more water came out above plug. He then confirmed, bad transom.

Does this sound right?

What repair costs total should I prepare for/expect?

Or pull motor and scrap the boat?

Thanks

Terrell

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bayliners when neglected will rot very quick. To determine if it is worth it, test the floor and stringers. If only the transom is bad and you pull the motor and transom sheild, then you can usually get one done for 2-3k.

If the floor, stringers, and transom are all bad, Pull all the good parts off of it, and deliver the empty hull back in the sellers driveway minus the trailer.:D

I want to thank everyone who responded and has posted info for someone like me to learn from. Yes, it turns out I had a rotten transom. And after watching friscoboater's postings, I am somewhat knowledgeable in atleast not allowing a shop to take care advantage of me. I found a great small shop to do the transom, the correct way, for $750. 500 cheaper than the recommended place by a marine shop! I'll try to post pics..... If u are near south Houston area, I highly recommend South Texas Fiberglass , George 281- 236-1779 and tell him Terrell put the word out. I was able to see other boats from start to finish and they were great. Even the local marine shop was impressed....

Next project, water manifolds....OMG.

Speakrdude

Ensign

Putting America back to work, One boat at a time. Way to go South Texas Fiberglass.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

750 ?....for a transom in a bayliner......wow.

its worth 750 in pain just to rip the old one out !

sschefer

Rear Admiral

A good outcome... Finally! Well done to South Texas FG... and especially well done to the OP for hangin in there with the odds stacked against you!...

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That didn't include the removal of engine and drive did it????
Looks like a good clean repair....

A good outcome... Finally! Well done to South Texas FG... and especially well done to the OP for hangin in there with the odds stacked against you!...

Thanks...it was the knowledge I gained on iboats that made me hang in there !!!

That didn't include the removal of engine and drive did it????
Looks like a good clean repair....

No, removal of motor was done by a marine shop..... South Texas does remove outboards but not I/O boards..... Great Job nevertheless...

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Boozecruiser i can't believe how upbeat you are about the situation! If it were me, i would be a upset if the seller never mentioned that it was taking on water like that. But, fixing them is like free schooling. There's nothing better than knowing all the ins and outs of your rig and you will be much more comfortable with your boat.

But she is looking good so far...

Boozecruiser i can't believe how upbeat you are about the situation! If it were me, i would be a upset if the seller never mentioned that it was taking on water like that. But, fixing them is like free schooling. There's nothing better than knowing all the ins and outs of your rig and you will be much more comfortable with your boat.

But she is looking good so far...

You are right about the learning curve!!! Learning the hard way. I own piece of the mistake because I jumped on it without more iboats research. I work with Harley's and I see it all the time, where someone buys one without digging deep for info., now I'm one of them...LOL. that's ok though.....it'll be all out of my mind when we boozecruisin and the kids sayin, "we love this boat"

Thanks very much