Wasn’t sure where to post.

Range Wharf

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 12’ aluminum V hull. I have a 9.9 four stroke. Being a senior in my 70’s I find the motor heavy. The boat is rated for a 5-7.5 hp. Thinking of down sizing to a Mercury 6 hp. Fishing in a lake not far to my fishing spots. Should I be ok with that size motor.
Thanks
Bryan.

airshot

Rear Admiral
You never want to go above the factory recomended hp !! You will be fine with that 6hp, it will scoot right along....if you want to keep your 9.9, why not move up to a 14' boat...much more stabil than your 12'....probably cheaper than a new motor..

dwco5051

Commander
I have a 12' Myers aluminum that I ran a 5 hp Merc on for a couple of years. It flew right along with it and I think you will be more than happy with the smaller motor.

Range Wharf

Seaman Apprentice
Many thanks for your response. I hope everyone has a wonderful New Years and counting the days to get back on the waters.

Ironhorse2022

Seaman Apprentice
You may want to verify that a 6hp is actually lighter than your current 9.8. Sometimes in that hp range, the only difference is the carb size and other non-weight impacting changes

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I would personally get a late as possible model 8hp 2 stroke. They are about the same weight as a new 4-6hp 4 stroke and miles more powerful too.

airshot

Rear Admiral
If he is looking at new outboards, then he should consider up sizing from a 12 to a 14' boat!! I am also 73 yrs old, much more safety and comfort in a 14 footer and less money than a new 6 hp outboard. Even if he needed a new trailer for a 14' , still less than a new motor !!

Range Wharf

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys, I checked the weights.
9.9 hp four stroke 87lbs
6 hp four stroke 57 lbs
In my area 14’er’s hard to find.
Thanks again for your help and response.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I understand, I'm trying to figure out when I became the same age as old people