Was running now will not turn over DISTRIBUTOR, TIMING, #1 on CAP & PLUG WIRE LOCATIONS

dannyb2573

Recruit
Good morning I’m reaching out to anybody with knowledge on an issue I’m having. I have a 1984 Bayliner 2850 I believe it is an a Q260 with a engine GM350 SBC VA. I bought the boat a few months ago it was running rough I changed the alternator and the starter ran better couldn’t get the idle correct so I recently purchased for plug wires spark plugs distributor cap distributor rotor. Asked a friend to give me a hand who claimed to be a mechanic now my distributor doesn’t look like it’s in the same position I’m not sure where number one is on the distributor cap I’ve looked at several images online several videos online several tutorials a lot of people have different ways of doing things which is understandable but the way I did it I followed the majority of people that were doing it in one particular way. They used to run rough now it doesn’t run at all. I definitely need some serious advice and or help . The distributor cap before things were moved around was in 180° different rotation that is now the advance was facing the rear of the boat as well as the window since I had been taking advice off of YouTube and other information it said that the advance needed to be facing towards the front of the engine as well as the window and that number one on the cab was directly over the window on the port side and then I have followed the firing order from there I honestly believe that I have the distributor and or distributor cabin wires backwards. Any help would be great. So tell me if I’m wrong. Look at the pictures below, the picture of the Is the same cap that I have so position one is above the window and the window should be facing the front of the engine(bow of boat). When I first got this boat, This was facing the back of the engine (stern). This is where I follow the fair in order for the wires. I do not remember the firing order it was originally in when the window was facing the back of the engine. I did remove the distributor and before they reinstalled it they put the engine at the number one compression stroke but the only thing I forgot to do was mark the position of my rotor.

Attachments

• 9EFFCD8C-1BFC-4A75-8337-5D26E91DEB4C.jpeg
    9EFFCD8C-1BFC-4A75-8337-5D26E91DEB4C.jpeg
    355.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 3A5F5BEB-1061-4960-91F3-81781331726C.jpeg
    3A5F5BEB-1061-4960-91F3-81781331726C.jpeg
    243.1 KB · Views: 12
  • C8924747-BA2D-494B-B8C8-1592611B61F3.jpeg
    C8924747-BA2D-494B-B8C8-1592611B61F3.jpeg
    705.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

ChrisinPHX

Seaman
I never pull a dizzy without marking the base of it where it meets the block and also marking the rotor location on the plastic housing. You will be at #1TDC twice. Once on the exhaust stroke and once on the compression stroke. Are you sure you are at TDC on compression? Ensure that, and then you will probably need to pull the dizzy and stab it again where the cap says #1 should be with the cap facing the right direction. Once that's done you might have to barely tighten the hold down bolt (still somewhat loose) and turn the dizzy left or right a bit while someone else cranks the engine.

Bondo

Staff member
Good morning I’m reaching out to anybody with knowledge on an issue I’m having. I have a 1984 Bayliner 2850 I believe it is an a Q260 with a engine GM350 SBC VA. I bought the boat a few months ago it was running rough I changed the alternator and the starter ran better couldn’t get the idle correct so I recently purchased for plug wires spark plugs distributor cap distributor rotor. Asked a friend to give me a hand who claimed to be a mechanic now my distributor doesn’t look like it’s in the same position I’m not sure where number one is on the distributor cap I’ve looked at several images online several videos online several tutorials a lot of people have different ways of doing things which is understandable but the way I did it I followed the majority of people that were doing it in one particular way. They used to run rough now it doesn’t run at all. I definitely need some serious advice and or help . The distributor cap before things were moved around was in 180° different rotation that is now the advance was facing the rear of the boat as well as the window since I had been taking advice off of YouTube and other information it said that the advance needed to be facing towards the front of the engine as well as the window and that number one on the cab was directly over the window on the port side and then I have followed the firing order from there I honestly believe that I have the distributor and or distributor cabin wires backwards. Any help would be great. So tell me if I’m wrong. Look at the pictures below, the picture of the Is the same cap that I have so position one is above the window and the window should be facing the front of the engine(bow of boat). When I first got this boat, This was facing the back of the engine (stern). This is where I follow the fair in order for the wires. I do not remember the firing order it was originally in when the window was facing the back of the engine. I did remove the distributor and before they reinstalled it they put the engine at the number one compression stroke but the only thing I forgot to do was mark the position of my rotor.
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... What you have there, is a Bomb, not a marine distributor,......

Boat distributors don't have a vacuum advance, much less a dwell window,.....

Get yerself a Delco Voyager ignition kit,.....
A darn good system, that I think Volvo was usin' as Oem,....
Comes at a fairly reasonable price too,...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... What you have there, is a Bomb, not a marine distributor,......

Boat distributors don't have a vacuum advance, much less a dwell window,.....

Get yerself a Delco Voyager ignition kit,.....
A darn good system, that I think Volvo was usin' as Oem,....
Comes at a fairly reasonable price too,...
Come On Bondo, Marine Parts are just overpriced Auto Parts with a Different Part #, just to rip us off. NOT!
It is amazing how many Boaters just do not understand why Marine Engines and their Parts not the same as used in a Car/Truck. Distributors, Starters, Alternators, Carbs and FI are the most commonly parts replaced with Auto Parts, which as you say, is the Fuse for a Bomb

My 2002 VP 5.7 uses a Prestolite Distributor as it doesn't have Electronic Spark advance, but old fashioned weights doing the job.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep as soon as I read “advance” and “window” I knew what was going on there, had one of those in our 1972 Chevy Impala!
You need a real marine mechanic to go over this boat and remove any & all hazards left behind by previous owners out of ignorance or cheapness before it’s safe to use!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
AQ260 ........Asked a friend to give me a hand who claimed to be a mechanic ............ that is now the advance was facing the rear of the boat as well as the window ..........So tell me if I’m wrong
watching you tube videos does not make one a mechanic

you have a volvo penta AQ260 (350 cubic inch V8 with flat top pisons, holley 4160 carb) which would have had a pertronix distributor

that someone put an older distributor on it from a car as others stated, a bomb. or someone replaced the motor with one from an old truck or car

full

the volvo penta motor would be painted red from the factory and have a serial number tag riveted to the block just above the starter boss.

check to make sure the core plugs are brass.

so pull the incorrect distributor and throw it away.

either get the delco voyager distributor or get a Mallory YLM 624

rotate the motor to TDC on cylinder #1 and then stab the distributor

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
And then:
Check the carburetor, starter and alternator to make sure they are all marine certified. Even fuses used in an inboard gas engine compartment are different, they should be ATC fuses instead of ATO.

dannyb2573

Recruit
Yep as soon as I read “advance” and “window” I knew what was going on there, had one of those in our 1972 Chevy Impala!
You need a real marine mechanic to go over this boat and remove any & all hazards left behind by previous owners out of ignorance or cheapness before it’s safe to use!
I can do the work. What do you suggest? As of now I’m at a loss. I’ve worked on engines before but for some reason I just can’t figure this out. I’ve done compression testing on all 8 cylinders and compression has passed. #1 is at top dead center, returned distributor back with the rotor pointing at the #1 cylinder/spark plug location. Followed clockwise attaching wires in firing order 18436572. Plugs, wires, rotor, cap, & ignition coil are all new. As I attempt to turn it over I get backfire from the carburetor. So I don’t know what else to try.

dannyb2573

Recruit
watching you tube videos does not make one a mechanic

you have a volvo penta AQ260 (350 cubic inch V8 with flat top pisons, holley 4160 carb) which would have had a pertronix distributor

that someone put an older distributor on it from a car as others stated, a bomb. or someone replaced the motor with one from an old truck or car

full

the volvo penta motor would be painted red from the factory and have a serial number tag riveted to the block just above the starter boss.

check to make sure the core plugs are brass.

so pull the incorrect distributor and throw it away.

either get the delco voyager distributor or get a Mallory YLM 624

rotate the motor to TDC on cylinder #1 and then stab the distributor
I will double check for the tag. As far as the distributor, it is a delco distributor which I believe is the original distributor. As for the rotor and cap, those may be from Autozone or somewhere. I will attach a photo of the distributor With the serial number shown. I appreciate the help

Attachments

• B4B6265D-B4E0-4E32-9DC2-924A9E99FBFD.jpeg
    B4B6265D-B4E0-4E32-9DC2-924A9E99FBFD.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 48BACB25-E63C-4582-9F24-A6863CE60BF4.jpeg
    48BACB25-E63C-4582-9F24-A6863CE60BF4.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 7

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You need to have the engine at TDC of the compression stroke for # 1 cyl which means that both valves on # 1 cyl are closed and the piston is all the way up to the top of the cyl. You may be 180* off with it on the exhaust stroke. In this case the exhaust valve will be open but the intake will be closed. Might be easier if you have the valve cover off on that side to watch the valves. When they are closed the valve stem will be all the way up when they are open it will be pushed down by the rocker arm.
The original distributor in the Volvo marine application was a Prestolite points distributor with mechanical (centrifugal) advance and it will have a tag saying J1171 and a metal screen for the vent to make it ignition safe. These also have a gasket for the distributor cap to seal out fuel vapors. If you have a Delco window distributor with a centrifugal advance unit no way is that a marine unit!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I will double check for the tag. As far as the distributor, it is a delco distributor which I believe is the original distributor. As for the rotor and cap, those may be from Autozone or somewhere. I will attach a photo of the distributor With the serial number shown. I appreciate the help
that is not the original distributor. that is a distributor for a manual transmission nova or a manual transmission chevelle.

you need to remove that bomb fuse and install a marine distributor.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
To find #1 remove #1 sparkplug and dist cap. crank motor till you hear a "puff" of air. This is #1 compression stroke. Now look at the timing mark on the harmonic balancer and turn motor until timing mark is on zero.
This is TDC of #1 wherever the rotor is pointing is now called number one position. firing order is 1,8,4,3,,6,5,7,2 clockwise.

Reactions: muc

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
What you shoudl have is a Prestolite points distributor and it should look like this, the centrifugal advance is below the points plate. If it is electronic (Prestolite BID system) it will look the same except no points & condenser but will have an electronic module in the same spot.

Attachments

• Prestolite.jpg
    Prestolite.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 3

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
PS if someone put an automotive GM Delco distributor on that engine I'd be checking the starter and alternator as well. No J1171 label then get rid of them. You can see it on this ARCO starter I installed 2 years ago.

Attachments

• PMGR Arco installed.jpg
    PMGR Arco installed.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 5

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Resolution wasn't really good enough to see the Letter/Numbers

But you make a Valid Point about if one component is not USCG approved, what else has been replaced and also isn't compliant

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Resolution wasn't really good enough to see the Letter/Numbers

But you make a Valid Point about if one component is not USCG approved, what else has been replaced and also isn't compliant
agreed, asked in post #6

440roadrunner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To find #1 remove #1 sparkplug and dist cap. crank motor till you hear a "puff" of air. This is #1 compression stroke. Now look at the timing mark on the harmonic balancer and turn motor until timing mark is on zero.
This is TDC of #1 wherever the rotor is pointing is now called number one position. firing order is 1,8,4,3,,6,5,7,2 clockwise.
STICK A FINGER INTO THE PLUG HOLE Feel for compression