Wars have never solved anything!

LubeDude

Admiral
"Except for ending colonialism, imperialism, slavery, fascism, nazism and<br />communism, wars have never solved anything."

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wars have never solved anything!

Boy, glad it was you, Lubedude. When I saw that title I hit the button, loaded for bear. Whew, got to let my adrenaline subside.

Link

Rear Admiral

Saw the title, then who posted and it didnt add up so I had to look. :)

LubeDude

Admiral

Hope I didnt cause any heart attacks! :D :D

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

While I can't say the US has NEVER made mistakes, I know of no other country which has been there to help out those in need in so many ways. We have fought for freedom often, and this world would be an infinitely more hostile place to live if we didn't draw the line for many of the tinhorn megalomaniacs that tried to take over. Had we not stood strong we too would be standing in a food line hoping to get our weekly ration of mush from someone speaking some other language besides english. Churchill got it right when he said that "An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last." The reason Churchill was such a great visionary is that he not only understood history but he also knew how to use that information. Too bad he was never appreciated as he deserved to be. I wonder how many more airliners would have been hijacked and crashed into metropolitan areas had we not drawn a line in the middle eastern sand. We can all agree that war is bad, but there is one fundamental problem that remains: the bad guys have no such similar philosophy. They still like violence. We who want war to go away simply underestimate the evil that would come to us. Living in denial is just as bad as appeasment. If we don't stand up who will? One thing is for sure, those terrorists know that we won't take it sitting down, despite the message the extreme left is sending. They are blinded by hate and willing to send their women and little children into a crowd with a bomb strapped on. (Reasonable people, are they?) So should we just sit back and wait for them with open arms? We do not go looking for wars, they come to use and we don't back down if we are smart. Debate about Iraq and Afganistan all you want. I'm absolutely certain we'd be having more 9-11 type activity if we weren't engaging them in the middle east. Would you rather the explosions happen in your own neighborhood or in Iraq? Public opinion would suddenly be unified if it were on our soil. Still could happen, too. I hope it settles down long enough for my kids to grow up, but this world will simply not become a peaceful place unless someone MAKES IT. Nice sugar coated wishes won't make it happen, a strong US military with a unified government are the best we can realistically hope for at this point, unfortunately.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Funny... <br /><br />Hate to bring ya down, but colonialism, imperialism, slavery, fascism, nazism and<br />communism are all still very much alive in the world today...

Homerr

Commander

Yep... I was breaking out the 7 mag and my Mulie loads!<br /><br /><br /> :D <br /><br /><br />H.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I even had the safety off! :<O

sloopy

Commander

inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale....

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Nope, he's getting ready to pull the shot off. Breathing practice while sighting improves the shot.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Sloopy might not be but I might as well be, figuratively speaking of course. :eek: <br /><br />Your right Snapper, there are still a lot of problems in this world. Terrorists are, by definition, completely unreasonable. There always have been and always will be unreasonable people. So what are our options? How do we get these evil, violent people to leave everyone alone? Ask real nice? Does anyone really think they'll leave us alone forever? (They didn't at 9-11 and they still promise more) Britain was almost lost because of that mindset. Oft times the losses, as utterly horrible as they may be, are a lot smaller in the long run if we put out the fire before it gets bigger. Someone has to stand up for what is right or else the whole neighborhood goes down the tubes. The UN sure won't do it despite all the dollars we give them. <br /><br />We don't actually solve problems (evil) by war, we manage the symptoms. We keep them from growing much larger. Islam, in its more rabid forms, is striving to take over the world. I for one have no plans to learn arabic!<br /><br />Peace, baby!!<br /><br />OK, breathe one, two...

bubbakat

Captain

Man I am glad that one went by :D
largemouth_bass_blowing_bubbles_lg_clr.gif

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Exacty Bearcat, we only try to manage.. But this one we need to solve completely... Only one way to do it IMO... Goes a little like this..<br /><br />"Coordinates are locked in... Key is in the "on" position... Push the BIG red button... Job done.. Who's next?..."<br /><br />That, Ladies and Gentlemen, is how you "take it to em'"...<br /><br />oh yeah.. PS.. Be careful shoot'n near Bubba.. I hear he likes to shoot back... :D

Dunaruna

Admiral

Snapperbait, bearcat touched on the single most overwelming reason a country goes to war - to secure a free and properous future for our children, grandchildren, great grand...... Too many rouge nations out there with a 'big red button', North Korea (for one) are probably waiting for a reason to push it. In the aftermath, what future is their for our kids? Bomb iraq into oblivion, but not with nukes. Aldo

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Interesting subject...."How To Manage World Extremist Groups", I believe would be one good title.<br /><br />It is, IMHO, getting tuff to do this. The wars we wage to prevent the spread of these extremist groups is changing with everyone that wants to make a name for themselves in the name of whatever god they represent. To wipe them out completely is a near impossibility. "Naziism" still fourishes here and abroad. Communisim (sp) still flourishes here and abroad. Now the "Children of Allah", of course not all, that see us as infidels, are rearing their war septar and dieing for their "God". <br /><br />I don't think any of us here on the board will ever see a truly peacefull world where we can go to a foreign country without fear of getting "dead" just because we are American. Maybe our childrens children may. But we won't.<br /><br />As long as there is are governments like North Korea, just to name one, that see power as a Nuclear Warhead, and extremists groups like the ones we are battling against now, "Managment" will be a full time job for us and our allies. To say we have "Won the Battle" is going to get more difficult to say.<br /><br />But....again IMHO, Battle On, we must.

PW2

Commander

What is the world coming to??? I more or less agree with OBJ on this one.<br /><br />There are wars that have been necessay and good, no question. Wars that have stopped aggression, certainly. WWII, pushing Saddam out of Kuwait...I am sure in world history the list is long.<br /><br />But this terrorism thing is an entirely different kettle of fish. As Rumsfeld accurately put it, there isn't any good military targets. Which is, of course, why traditional military tactics will not be particularly effective. We need non-traditional tactics in place.<br /><br />And in the history of mankind, there has always been conflicts and disagreements. That is not likely to change anytime soon. Getting all the world's leaders around a campfire singing Kumbaya may be a nice thought, but they aren't selling tickets to that grand event just yet.<br /><br />So indeed, battle on we must. But we must choose tactics that show signs of success. 50 years of confinement finally took down the Russian threat.<br /><br />I have no idea how to eliminate terrorists from the world, but military style war is not likely to do it, I am afraid.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

PW2,<br /><br />We agree again. The war we are now engaged in forces us to redefine and rewrite what it means to be a soilder and a citizen. It is no longer acceptable to be complacent and it should be a crime against humanity to be complicite. We cannot accept that those amoung us would support those who would kill citizens and non-combatants. Loose lips at one time sunk ships, now a blind eye could cause a slaughter of your neighbors. It is now as much a moral, as a military question. Apathy is our enemies weapon and vigilism his foe. <br /><br />This period will redefine what war is and how we as a nation respond to it will decide whether we win or die. When people like Ted Kennedy spew forth their hateful anti-american rhetoric they absolutely put all of us in harms way. They enbolden the resolve of the enemy (and those who would support them - France) and weaken the resolve of the constituency.<br /><br />It is time for us as a nation to come together and define who is the enemy and make everyone accountable for their capture/elimination. We need to win the hearts and minds of those who would stand against this type of random expression of hate and murder, and exterminate those who by their support and or actions, would do harm to innocents both here and abroad. I call upon all muslims who with their inaction and silent tongues allow organizations like al-quida to commit murder in their name, to come forward and participate actively in the elimination of the prostitition of their religion. I call upon the constituents of Ted Kennedy to show him at election time that his voice is unacceptable, cowardly and un-american. And to those peace loving citizens of the world that the profit from support of terrorism to understand that they are next. YOU CAN'T SPEND IT FROM THE GRAVE AND NEITHER CAN YOUR CHILDREN.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) World War Two ended the great "DEPRESSION!!!" ;) :cool: