WARNING!!!

katbird

Petty Officer 2nd Class
DO NOT OPEN ANY EMAIL FROM PHATMANMIKE.he just cost me 3500.00 for a gateway . he sent me a email reading [document for you] then when i opened it read [MYDOOM] whick is a malicous worm.I reported it and they said it was called [W32.MYDOOM.F@MM]. u talk about kicking somebodys ase now by god im ready. mad as hell

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: WARNING!!!

Just so you know, MyDoom, like most other viruses nowadays, spoofs the from fields to hide its origins. Chances are that it did not originate from phatmanmike anyway. Most of these viruses scan Temp Internet Files and Address books of the infected machine to fill in a fake from address and send themselves using their own SMTP engines. <br /><br />Never open attachments you are not expecting and have confirmed and keep virus definitions up to date. For those who need free, decent antivirus protection, check out www.grisoft.com for the AVG antivirus. Or don't use Windows ;) .

LubeDude

Admiral

Thats very unfortunate, but Im sure he didnt know he was forwarding it to you. Thanks for the warning, no he has to deal with the worm himself.<br /><br />Goes to show ya that you have to have the latest protection available. So, with that said, the blame rests somewhat on you for not being protected. Its kinda like "Safe sex".

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ron,<br />What exactly did this virus do? How does it end up costing you a new computer? It's very difficult, actually impossible, for a software program to render hardware unserviceable. At the absolute worst case scenario, your hard drive would be reformatted and your files lost. That doesn't mean you need a new computer. You just have some work to do in order to get it back on its feet.

LubeDude

Admiral

Joe, you know how those worms are, before you know it they are everywhere, ever seen a dead cat, before you know it they are crawling out of there, ____Well nevermind.<br /><br />I agree, reformatting the hard drive would have been all there was too it.<br /><br />Hey Ron, can I have you old computer?? Must be a He*l of a Computer to cost $3,500.00. I built one last year with all the best stuff then, and I think I spent about $1,000.00.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, Ron.<br /><br />As explained above, PMM didn't send it and he most probably didn't forward it either.<br /><br />I, too, would like to see what sort of Gateway you had to spend $3500 for, and why you couldn't just clean and reformat the one you had. That shouldn't have cost over $100.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

All I can say is that someone did/does not have a AV set up right or it would have caught that worm.<br />Maybe not keeping up on the ol updates the way you should.<br /><br />Don't know about that gateway.<br />Must be a dandy for $3500.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

A $3500 Gateway is akin to a $3500 cat.<br />No such thing exists.<br /><br />I guess somehow a users lack of virus protection took out their monitor, laser printer, keyboard, scanner, ad nauseum?<br /><br />LMAO

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Why would you open something from someone that you don't know????<br />Where is your fire wall???<br />What happened to your anti virus???<br />Why would you pay that kind of money???<br />Never! Never! open attachments!!!<br />Never! Never !! open mail from people that you don't know!!!! ;) :cool:

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was getting those E-Mails (At least 8 a day). Norton Anti-Virus 2004 caught each and every one and deleted it before I even saw it. Another trick is to have Norton Chost and make a Ghost copy of your operating system on another drive once a week and unplug that drive inbetween. If that happens again, Re-formate the C drive then just unplug the C drive and plug the other one in and your off and running. Then make another copy of the opersting system onto the old C drive and keep it going.<br /><br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />Craig

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Yup. An UPDATED antivirus program takes care of virus. UPDATED Ad-Aware takes care of spyware/cookies giving you away to spybots, UPDATED SpyBlaster helps preventing spyware from getting onto your system in the first place.<br /><br />A firewall filters your data traffic according to rules and will, properly set up, prevent unauthorised access to your pc (from "outside").<br /><br />Ghost or other Image software will help you restoring the whole computer software-wise (this actually rather means "setting back to" than restoring as you'll loose whatever stored on the harddrive(s) since last you last made a Ghost image.)<br /><br />It's beyond me how any user connecting to the web justifies not to protect his pc with at least a proper AV. <br /><br />Those people are a major risc to all others out there.

Fly Rod

Commander

:)One other thing that I have noticed is that I've been getting returned mail from the Mail Administrator with e-mail names that I don't recognize and I just delete them!!! ;) :cool:

rwise

Captain

Fly Rod thats the thing to do! That to is a spoof.<br /><br />joew, churnoble (sp?) will kill the CMOS chip on the mother board and change the hard drive to FAT12! It is possible for a virus to do hardware damage.<br /><br />Norton 2004 here updated every time I (or anyone here) get on the net! I get at least one e-mail a day with a worm or virus attachment. Killed on it's way in!<br /><br />Something that I did to cut down on spam and worms etc. hitting me was to put the word "NOSPAM" in my e-mail address link on my web site. Dropped from 15-30 a day to 1 - 3 per day. example, wiseNOSPAM@rapfir.net or wise@NOSPAMrapfire.net, sender must remove the NOSPAM from the address. Yes this is my home e-mail. For web pages that I don't trust or don't want to get spam from I use some thing like me@righthere.com!

FLATHEAD

Captain

Just to rehash what the others said. I learned the hard way too. My last computer was devastated by worms and virus's. Like Rwise said I run Norton 2004 and update every time, also do all my windows updates. It only takes a few minutes and keeps things nice and clean. It also scans all my outgoing email just in case.<br /><br />Now I get on average one or two spam emails a month,if that, and anything that remotely could be a virus is stopped dead in it's tracks. Pop ups are non existent. I have a friend that forwards all kinds of emails from anywhere,and my OS has blocked every single one of them. It pays off in the long run to spend a little money to get the latest protection software.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Such an educated, well composed reply.<br />I wish this forum had a killfile for these situations.....

tylerin

Commander

Hey Ron looks as if your keyboard is skipping around a bit as well :p

SpinnerBait_Nut

Hry RR, what's the name of that shop?<br />I want to make sure I don't go to them cause I ain't never seen a virus I could not get rid of one way or the other and it don't include getting a new computer.<br /><br />I will say one thing, your reply has lasted a lot longer on here than most, but rest assured, someone will see it and edit it for you.<br />edit, I rest my case.<br /><br />That is something that is not welcome here for sure.<br />Have a nice day.

SCO

Lieutenant

I recently(last week) had a virus, and I have norton completely updatedated at all times w virus checks. I routinely catch the latest wave of "returned mail" viruses. Last week though, I just highlighted an email, not attachment, and the mail program froze as norton alerted me of a virus.That part locked up too. At the same time I noticed the hard drive light working full speed, I tried to shut down the program w task manager but didnt work, weird. HDD light still going strong so I just turned off power. On startup I got the blue screen. I had to restart using startup disks and emergency repair disks as the system files had been corrupted. Got the system back online. Went back to the mail program (netscape7) and tried to highlight an old opened email and as soon as I did the program froze and hdd light was running . Tried task manager, same, pwr off but faster this time, and again got blue screen and had to restore system files. On restart I noticed a new directory on c drive called "found.000". I deleted it and the unusual files in it. Then when through the same process to see If I had deleted the virus, and again computer locked, I pwred off, blue screen, restored it. I again found a "found.000" directory on c:. Deleted it, ran Norton antivirus full scan overnight, picked up 7 viruses, and now everything works great,no found.000 directory, but norton deleted my netscape inbox file. I had to restore that from a prior save. THe files in the "found.000" directory were created 4 hours before the first lockup event. An FYI.