Warning alarm going off

snmpgh

Cadet
I have a 1994 Regal 256 with the 5.7L Mercruiser and Alpha One outdrive. If I cruise around at about 1800 to 2500 RMP for say over 30 or 40 minutes, the engine alarm goes off. Now, my understanding of it is that is one of three possible things, outdrive oil too low, water temp and oil pressure. My outdrive oil bottle was leaking so I replaced that with a new one so i doubt that a brand new sensor is bad.

That leaves the water temp sensor and oil pressure sensor. When the alarm is going off, neither gauge is past the midline. Water temp is steady at 150 and oil pressure is at 42. The risers are cool and the oil is clean and at the full line on the dip stick.

I guess my question is can the sensor switch close and set off the alarm with out the guage being effected?

Mike

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Warning alarm going off

I guess my question is can the sensor switch close and set off the alarm with out the guage being effected?

Mike

Yes. The warning system sensors are seperate from the gauges. You might have one that is bad or wiring grounding out.

Without checking a wiring diagram, I believe that the switches are nomally open, and close for a failure. Should be able to easily isolate by ohm meter or pulling each bullet connector seperatly to see when the alarm stops.