Warm up

I have an mercury 1985 50 hp outboard motor and I'm new to it and it to me I'm having a few issues with it bogging down after I've started it and let it warm up for a few minutes my question is letting it warm up for 3-5 minutes enough time for it to warm up or should I leave it to warm up for longer any help would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Those motor do not need that much time to warm up. Does she bog down, when you try to accelerate, but run OK at idle in gear?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
How did it run for you last season?------It has the brown / copper colored decals??----No thermostat on those.-----Open low speed mixture screws 1/8th turn at a time and test run.----Any trouble shooting done ?

Those motor do not need that much time to warm up. Does she bog down, when you try to accelerate, but run OK at idle in gear?
Thank you for replying yes that's exactly what happens I go to start it without pushing in the key and it sounds like it wants to start and then I have to push the choke in which is pushing in the key and giving it a little gas in neutral and it starts right up and I can give it gas and it revs up then I put it in gear and it moves goes maybe about 5 mph but if I go to accelerate more it does nothing it stays at 5 mph and then bogs down if I don't back off of it and shuts off

How did it run for you last season?------It has the brown / copper colored decals??----No thermostat on those.-----Open low speed mixture screws 1/8th turn at a time and test run.----Any trouble shooting done ?
Thank you for replying I did not own it last season and I know very little about the ins and outs of the carburetor I'm learning as I go along watching YouTube and I bought a manual and have been going through that still have not found the answer to why it does that though so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I indicated that you should open up the low speed mixture needles and test run on the lake.----Perhaps that simple step is too complicated.------Post your compression values.------Lots of junk boats and motors have been adopted by new owners in the last 2 " covid " years.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Please describe your Procedure for Starting

My inline 6 got about 30 seconds of warm up at the dock, before casting off. I didn't floor it immediately, I would wait for another minute, maybe minute and a half, then it was Go Time

I squeezed primer bulb until it's hard which now it doesn't seem like it's getting hard anymore and then I put the boat in neutral give it a little bit of gas and then I turn the key push it in and then start the boat

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
So you are pressing the Interlock on the Throttle Lever to disengage the Shift Mechanism?
As the engine is warming up you may have to press the key in briefly on occasion.
You say the Primer bulb is no longer getting Firm. Is there fuel dripping from the Engine as you squeeze the bulb?

These days a lot of those 'new to boating' have never driven a vehicle without Fuel Injection, which are Put the Key in and turn. It is fun to watch them try to start a Engine with Carb...

Last edited:
So you are pressing the Interlock on the Throttle Lever to disengage the Shift Mechanism?
You say the Primer bulb is no longer getting Firm. Is there fuel dripping from the Engine as you squeeze the bulb?

These days a lot of those 'new to boating' have never driven a vehicle without Fuel Injection, which are Put the Key in and turn. It is fun to watch them try to start a Engine with Carb...
LOL yeah I had to call the guy that I bought the book from to figure out how to start it but now that I got the hang of it I enjoy it

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Here are a couple of pages from the 1985 Mercury Brochure

Attachments

• img137.jpg
    img137.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • img138.jpg
    img138.jpg
    816.5 KB · Views: 3