Warm Resistor wire between coil & alternator

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
1989 4.3L Cobra with points.<br /><br />I had the key in the 'accessory' position (boat hadn't been started since previous day) and happened to touch the purple/ red resistor wire the runs between the coil and the alterntor. It was noticably warm; not too hot to touch, but more than 'luke warm'. Is this normal, or something I should be worried about? And if the latter, any suggestions as to what I should start checking?<br /><br />Thanks.

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Warm Resistor wire between coil & alternator

You need to find out if that coil is 'live' when the key is on acc.<br /><br />Time to breakout the multi-meter.

KRS

Banned

What if it's live, what will that indicate?

Dunaruna

Admiral

The ignition (coil/points) should only be active when the key is 'on' or 'start'. Period.<br /><br />Anything else is a wiring fault or an ignition switch fault.<br /><br />A warm wire would indicate power flow, the coil is 'live' when power is feed to the '+' terminal. Test the '+' coil terminal with a multi-meter, it should read zero when the key is 'off' or 'acc'.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'll check, but may have mislead you in my originial post. Unlike a car, I don't think I have a true 'accessory' position for the key. To the far left it's off (key enters & exits the slot), middle is what I called 'accessory', and far right starts the ignition.<br /><br />On a car, there are those three positions, plus one more to the left of 'off' which is what I'd think is a true 'accessory' position.<br /><br />So when you say 'on or start', would that middle position be 'on' (in which case the ignition would be active)? <br /><br />Also, out of curiosity, would the wire in quwstion get warmer if key is in the 'on' position with engine not running than with the engine running? I don't know the technecalities, just wondering if there might be current that 'passes through' with engine running, but has more resistance (less resistance?) with the engine off.<br /><br />Thanks for the insight.

Bondo

Staff member

Basically,..... It's working Perfectly,........<br /><br />When power is applied,.... engine running or Not,.... It get Warm,.. It's a Resister,....<br /><br />BTW,....... When you leave the Key on,... Or whenever that wire Has Power,......<br />You're Burning Up your Points at the Same Time............

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks, not really an issue for me as I mever leave the key in the on position (one of the benefits of having a crappy stereo, lol). I just happened to be checking some stuff on the fuel guage & noticed the warm wire. Got lots of info off of here on w.r.t. checking the fuel guage/ sender, now just need to find the time to do the diagnostics. <br /><br />But good to know how it works, and now I understand what people are talking about when they mention burning up the coil with electronic ignition systems. I have friends with electronic ignition systems who leave their stereos on when parked & swimming for up to an hour. How long might it take to burn out a coil? I know there are some systems that won't, (pertronix II) and that they might have an acccessory position that would avoid the problem, and that the time might be extremely variable, but what is the shortest time that might concern you if boat has electronic ignition, none of the above apply, and it's left in the 'on' position to run stereo, etc?