warm motor won't start

jaa241

Seaman Apprentice
Hey, had the same issues with a merc 140. I originally had ignitor 1 however had heating issues and starting issues. Got a ignitor 2 along with an expoy filled high vib, MSD coil. Couldn't be happier. One thing pertronix tech guy said, is don't leave key turned on. If you are prepping boat or picking someone up in water turn key off, don't let it sit in run, because that heads voltage to electric choke which also runs to pertronix unit, heating it up and to cool.

jaa241

Seaman Apprentice
I also think your missing at idle could be due to ignitor 1. I had that same issue too. Ignitor 2 has adjustable dwell, which changes at ur rpms. I was have stall out issues when at idle and sometimes going into dock.

rca1pollock

Seaman Apprentice
got igniter 2 and coil from pertronix support. even though i had to pay for it,,support was good and they said if i send defective unit back and it tests bad they will reimburse me. so far i have had new unit on boat for 2 fishing trips. one was trolling for 3-4 hours far out in lake ERIE and it ran great. also went perch fishing while stopping and starting motor a bunch of times and THAT went well also!! i think all is fixed. hopefully igniter 2 will not fail if i leave ignition switch in on position again..which i believe led me to this point.

NicksterFL

Seaman
Thanks for the update rca1pollock! Sounds promising! I haven't had a chance to install mine yet (was on vacation all last week in bahamas) but plan to this week, and will be going out this coming saturday. I will post back my results. Hopefully all goes well!

lognum

Seaman
Thanks for the update rca1pollock! Sounds promising! I haven't had a chance to install mine yet (was on vacation all last week in bahamas) but plan to this week, and will be going out this coming saturday. I will post back my results. Hopefully all goes well!
Keep us updated, as I have the same issue and spent many dollars on "it could be this, it could be that". Thanks!

rca1pollock

Seaman Apprentice
trolled for 7 hrs after going out 4 miles and back really hard..engine even rpm,d down to 550 and ran good. igniter 2 with low ohm coil solved problems! now if i can just figure out the WALLEYE!