Want to taking how to fix it classes.

MATTT

Seaman
Hello, every one.<br />I live in Michigan. I own an I/O 18' boat. I would like to learn how to do some repare to any boat. Do you know if there is a school that would teach every thing about a marine engine ? Where would a marine mechanic go to learn all their tricks ?<br /><br />Thank you for the info.<br /><br />Mattt.

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Want to taking how to fix it classes.

I live on the opposite coast, but here is what I would do for starters.<br /><br />Ask the local boat dealer mechanics where they went to school.<br /><br />Also, check with the local trade schools.

ajp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Start tearing one apart is the best teacher. Experience, tech schools, small engine repair school. Get good service manuals and learn by hands on.<br /><br />Arlan

MATTT

Seaman

Thanks, SeaDawg.<br />I'll try to call around.<br /><br />ajp,<br />Did that. This is the situation. I want to do the winterising on my boat. To me I don't think it's hard to do. But the mechanic at the boat dealer told me that I should let the professional do it. He also said if I didn't do it right, the engine block would crack do to the cold season. So, just to be safe, I thought taking a few marine mechanic would be the answer. I do have the owner manual for I/O, but is it just me or every one else have the same problem with their owner manual. My didn't cover much about winterising a boat.<br /><br />Thanks again,<br /><br />Mattt.

ajp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did not say the owners manual. They are for owners, not mechanics. They show you haw to work the radio.<br /><br />Get the factory service manual. Any boat dealership can order you one for $29.95 or so. I found the service manual for my 4.3 litre Mercrusier on EBAY for $9.99, and the original for my 1969 Johnson 115HP outboard for $3.99. These manuals have specifics for maintenance, repair, and teardown.<br /><br />I will say this. It is probably far easier to have the the dealership do it for $100.00.<br /><br />I just would rather do it myself. As far as cracking the block, That can "only' happen if you leave water in it. Make sure that you remove all the plugs and you will have no problem. <br /><br />The only other issues are fogging the engine and stabilizing the gas. <br /><br />A little story, My father-in-law has a 1977 deckboat with a 305 v-8. Never been winterized other than the water drained out of the motor in between fishing trips for a couple of months of winter. 25 years and still running great. The water manifolds did rust out and had to be replaced. That may have happenned anyway. Water stays in them 10 months a year. About $300.00. Lets see $2000 for 25 years of dealership winterizing, or $1,000 doing it myself, or $300 for new manifolds by just draining the water when its freezing in OKlahoma. Whatever your preference. <br /><br />If you like to hands on, get a "Service Manual". <br /><br />NOT Clymers or Seloc, or any aftermarket manuals that cover multiple years and HPs, they will get you in trouble and are of little help. The actual factory service manual. <br /><br />My long two cents worth. Good boating.<br /><br />Arlan

MATTT

Seaman

Sorry ajp,<br /><br />I meant service manual. I bought a service manual at a marine store but didn't cover much about winterizing. When you said an actual factory service manual, I think that is what I need.<br /><br />Thanks again,<br /><br />Mattt.