Want to do oil and outdrive change

B20forlife

Cadet
hi everyone i want to do an oil change and an outdrive oil change on my 94 four winns with omc cobra 5.0. engine model is #50facpmda so the oil change is pretty straight foward. ill buy a ford mustang 5.0 oil filter. Will that work? also what kind of oil should i buy? and how do you change the oil on the outdrive? is there a write up? thanks.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Want to do oil and outdrive change

You should get a manual. Fortunately you have the Volvo/OMC joint venture drive so it gets filled from the bottom. Earlier OMC Cobras had a unique way to fill the drive.

You can use these instructions. Just as one final check on what drive you have, if you have shift linkages behind the drive cover, you do have the Volvo/OMC joint venture drive.

I used to use Mobil 1 GL-5 synthetic lube but now only purchase the Volvo gear lube.

VolvoSXOilFill.JPG

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Ok. Any reconmadantion on motor oil?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Whichever motor oil that trips yer trigger at the motor oil rack at yer local Wallyworld,...

Ain't none of 'em gonna Hurt yer motor,....

I run Mobil 1, 15W-50, in my personal 4.3l,.... Rotella T, 15W-40, in the fleet I maintain,...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Just make sure that 94 boat really has a 94 drive, it could be a 93, which is the dog clutch pure OMC Cobra. To tell, the joint venture has the hump on top like the pic Bruce posted. The dog clutch model is flat across the top.
Motor oil, well OMC used to recommend straight 30. You could use that, 15w/40 or the Merc 25w/40. Just don't use automotive based oils like 5/30 or 10/30, they will thin out.
I use Merc High Performance Gear Lube in my Cobra, it is recommended for Merc Bravos with the cone clutch so it should be fine for Volvos too.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Lou, from his model number, he has the newer drive but she should double check this obviously.

B20forlife

Cadet

Ok so I'm thinking of using amsoil SAE 15W-40 Heavy-Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil. What do you guys think? Will an automotive oil filter be ok if not which marine one would be best? Also in regards to spark plugs, wire set, cap and rotor will automotive stuff work? Or does it have to be marine?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Any oil brand filter is fine. I like Wix filters. Do you have a remote filter?

Bondo

Staff member

Ok so I'm thinking of using amsoil SAE 15W-40 Heavy-Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil. What do you guys think? Will an automotive oil filter be ok if not which marine one would be best? Also in regards to spark plugs, wire set, cap and rotor will automotive stuff work? Or does it have to be marine?

Ayuh,... I, like Bruce, like Wix filters, 'n the Napa filters are just rebadged Wix filters, so that's what I use,...

As for Spark Plugs, I prefer the AC Delco plugs, the "M", Marine rated are Alloy bodies, so they're less apt to rust in,...

The cap, rotor, 'n wires for a car won't fit, as yer Boat motor, don't use a Ford distributor,...
Ya need what fits yer distributor,...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Any oil filter should be fine. That oil should also be fine. I use Sierra Marine oil filters because they hold up well in a salt water environment.

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used straight SAE30 syntetic oil branded by Sierra as well as Sierra filters and Sierra syntetic drive fluid....