walmart trailer tires

tilen

Cadet
last year I replaced all four tires on my trailer and have a spare I bought at walmart so far this year I had three blowouts with the new tires and befor I leave the house I always check air pressure (50)psi and lugnuts the question can I just run all four on the cheaper walmart tire (st 175/80 D 13 load range C ) I am sure the set I got last year had to be defective :mad-new:

robert graham

Admiral
Re: walmart trailer tires

Are you sure that 50PSI is correct for your tires?...most trailer tires run about 50PSI...If they're under-inflated, it can cause overheating and failure....

robert graham

Admiral

Sorry, I miss-read your post about tire pressure....only other thing would be to check the date of manufacture on the sidewall....I always buy new trailer tires every 3 years from the date of manufacture, since they tend to deteriorate, dry-rot, tread separation after 3 years.

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class

last year I replaced all four tires on my trailer and have a spare I bought at walmart so far this year I had three blowouts with the new tires and befor I leave the house I always check air pressure (50)psi and lugnuts the question can I just run all four on the cheaper walmart tire (st 175/80 D 13 load range C ) I am sure the set I got last year had to be defective :mad-new:

What speed do you pull at?

Trailer (ST rated) tires are only speed rated to 65 MPH. This could be part of the issue???

My pontoon trailer had the automotive 13" tires on it when I bought it. I pulled it to our camp at the river (2 hours away) and normally only tow it at low speed to and from the ramp. About a mile each way.

Last week end I did pull the boat back home for some upgrades with no issues so far. The tires are rated to carry more than my boat and trailer weigh so I see no real need to change them. They are also sidewall dated within the last 3 years.

Best of luck to ya!
Don

gm280

Supreme Mariner

So am I understanding that three of the four tires you purchased last year gone POP...:eek: I think I'd be asking some serious questions before buying any more from there...

jkust

Rear Admiral

Are you saying you are hitting debris on the road or the tires are structurally failing? I've had several blowouts over the years with D rated tires fully inflated up to their normal 65lbs. I've hit debris such as a 2x4 with nails sticking up crossing the lane or other objects that I just couldn't avoid. Only one has structurally failed after a winter of indoor boat storage but I should have expected it as I could see that it looked wonky while towing while looking in the side mirror. I've learned with towing that every little out of the ordinary, yet small and easily overlooked thing is concern for immediate action. If you have structural issues, you need to look elsewhere for tires.

oldjeep

Admiral

OUt of curiosity - what is a "Walmart tire" does it have a brand on it?

NYBo

Admiral

They sell something called Hi Run, but they also sell Carlisles.

tilen

Cadet

yes they are hi-run and no I wish it was as simple as hitting debri but no I have one more tire I believe I will change before next weekend's adventure I know the hi-run tire has a range of 1,360 lb so I think I will buy another one, I have around 200 miles to trailer and hope for the best Life is but a chance

tilen

Cadet

ST tires are rated at 65 MPH I did not know this I was running between 65 and 70 could this be the reason and I brought it to the attention to the supply house where I bought my first set of tires and they gave me a break on the replacement of the first tire that blew the second and third blew up on the highway and was replaced with the hi-low Wal-Mart tire one to go I was told that through the winter I need to put my trailer on jacks so I don't create flat spots on my tires

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

i have never used their trailer tires, but that's very fast to lose them. Normally their is all ways a reason why tires go bad. Most times its under inflation or under rated for the load. If their at the correct PSI, then I would have the boat and trailer weighted. Some times the weight creeps up on you.

Last edited:

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class

ST tires are rated at 65 MPH I did not know this I was running between 65 and 70 could this be the reason and I brought it to the attention to the supply house where I bought my first set of tires and they gave me a break on the replacement of the first tire that blew the second and third blew up on the highway and was replaced with the hi-low Wal-Mart tire one to go I was told that through the winter I need to put my trailer on jacks so I don't create flat spots on my tires

They certainly are. From what I can read and all. The biggest causes of tire failure in trailers is a few things, most have been mentioned here already.

1. under inflation
2. over loading
3. pulling too fast.

Kinda like over reving an engine. They just wont hold together.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I brought it to the attention to the supply house where I bought my first set of tires and they gave me a break on the replacement of the first tire that blew the second and third blew up on the highway and was replaced with the hi-low Wal-Mart tire

So lets get this strait, because there seems to be some confusion...
From what I can figure out;
You bought a set of 4 tires from a "supply house" (tire store?), and purchased the spare from Wal-Mart, correct?
The tires you bought from the supply house have been failing, and you want to know if the Wal-Mart tires are an acceptable replacement, correct?

tilen

Cadet

yes this is the question can I replace my defective tires with the 6ply load range c (1360 lbs) HI-low walmart tires my boat weighs 4000 lbs + or - I do need to weigh my boat with all my added gear ( wakeboard, tubes, extra prop ,tools ,bumpers, ropes, ancors, ext...) I hope this is a bad bunch of tires and I have one more blow out in my near future .

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class

YES, get your boat weighed. Look up CAT scales and find one near you, or on the way to the lake. Pull onto the scale and dolly down the tongue to get an accurate weight of your boat, trailer and all gear and fuel.

It sounds like you are near and possibly over the weight rating of those LR C tires. (5440 lbs) Once you have that number then shop for tires that will carry that load. Also pay attention to the speed rating and mind your speed.

It sounds like you are running those tires at the load limit and over the speed limit which is a definition for blow outs. Just think of it like the engine in your tow vehicle. If you run it at full to excess load at or above the redline for very long..... It will not hold up!

I would look for and consider going up to Load range D tires.

Don

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Boat weights are generally dry weight, meaning no fuel, no added accessories, no gear, no life jackets, no coolers, empty compartments, etc. Adding the stuff you mentioned adds weight in a hurry. 40 gallons of fuel is nearly 300# by itself. You have a tandem axle trailer that probably weighs 1000# or close to it. My single axle pontoon trailer weighs 800#. Blowing tires at the frequency you are is a clear indicator that they are overloaded, underinflated, or popping due to heat from towing to fast with either or both of the other two conditions. An IR temperature gun will provide a temperature reading after 20 - 30 miles of what you consider an average tow.

tilen

Cadet

thanks for all the advice I will try to get my boat weighed this weekend then shop for tires and mind my lead foot any sugestions on a good trailer tire

RogersJetboat454

Commander

thanks for all the advice I will try to get my boat weighed this weekend then shop for tires

Another potential place to get the boat/trailer weighed is at a scrap yard (scale master may want a few bones for his time).

any sugestions on a good trailer tire

D.O.T. approved, and most importantly the correct load rating for the weight. No suggestions on brand.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I was told that through the winter I need to put my trailer on jacks so I don't create flat spots on my tires

Ignore whoever told you this... Any flatspots you get are going to be gone in a mile or two. You can not permanently flatspot a tire by having it rest on the ground in any reasonable timeframe.