Walleye in the North East

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
Re: Walleye in the North East

Where my uncles place is (south east side) it very shallow, hard packed sand....Good Luck.....PSS: The Lake House resturaunt on north east side use to have decent food. It has had a number of owners in the last few years, so not sure anymore. They do have docks.

Hey-

thanks for the info. I already found the depth chart, and I am marking down stuff on it. If my little boat sells, I will have a new GPS with Navionics then but want to have an idea ahead of time.

So is it rocky across the bottom between the islands/off the islands? Or just up the shoreline of the islands? Gotta be some other rock and gravel somewhere with smallmouth.

I have thought of hitting the lake overnight 3rd week in June just to read the map and log some waypoints and hit some fish. Yes, I have been accused of overthinking things :rolleyes: but it's an excuse to get a few days fishing in, and why not? :) My older kid grads June 18th; I want to take her fishing before boxing her up for college anyway.

Anyone else got some stuff to write on my map?

John_S

Rear Admiral

Can't help with the gravel locations. I am sure its there.

or the graduation. I have one headed to college, and one finishing, and heading to the work world. I kinda look at this way, 1 down, 1 to go. :)

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Can't help with the gravel locations. I am sure its there.

Someone will be able to I am sure- but thanks for the other great info.

or the graduation....I kinda look at this way, 1 down, 1 to go. :)

I kinda look at it this way: I am too young to have a kid in college!

Really though, she's honor student, just won $1K/year scholarship and was awarded $6K previous. So that's about 23% of her tuition already, so it isn't too bad. Except for... I am a single parent and the prospect of a quieter house is unnerving. It just struck me the other day. Wow.

Fishing really is psychotherapy; I need it soon to get me back in order. It's been a long winter

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Vermont- and YES! I love trolling for walleye, eating walleye, catching walleye. Not a lot of waters with walleye in the northeast, but there are a few in Vermont.

Planning to come to Vermont? None in NH (except the Connecticut River which borders Vermont), none in Maine. Some in Massachusetts, but I hear stories of walleye, but no one I know in Mass catches them or fishes them:confused:

Actually, there are a few walleye reported in Long Lake in the Belgrade Lakes chain in Maine. Its not like it would be worthy of heading there as a walleye trip though. Although the biologists at F&G would LOVE to see any you could catch out of there.........

There was an active stocking program there the 1940s. They were thought to have been wiped out though untill 1996 when one was netted. (probably from a bucket bio)

There is a little report here under region B, http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/reports/weekly_biologist/7-7-08.htm

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

...You might want to look at Fishfinder.com and watch for reports on the lake....The Lake House resturaunt on north east side use to have decent food....They do have docks.

fishfinder.com is a dead site- a parked domain. It's either not what you intended or is there a different site you meant to send?

Might hit the Lake House one night. I looked them up online and it sounds interesting.

Thanks again- Mark

sebago_kid

Seaman

Cant help ya with any Maine walleye, but we have a little bit of everything else. :D

I heard a story of someone putting Walleye into the belgrade lakes a long, long time ago... people were spearing them at night under a light to get them outta there???
I thought it might be a "fish story"...
No walleyes, but you can come get these damned pike... they're eating all my salmon and trout!:mad:

John_S

Rear Admiral

fishfinder.com is a dead site- a parked domain. It's either not what you intended or is there a different site you meant to send?
Thanks again- Mark

Sorry about that, Mark. It should of said MyFishFinder.com, which is the liquid version of IceShanty.com. I think you have to have 10 posts before you can see the fishing reports. There is a thread on " Canadarago / Otsego " under NY lakes, that is 11 pages long (not allot of details, though). It is too early for much of any spring reports.

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mmmm,perch......love'em. I'm from Buffalo and fished the lake as well as the Niagara upper River. The Niagara was(still is) great for muskie, around Grand Island... the largest fresh water Island in the world as far as I know!
Also some of the best Small mouth fishing around, my best was 5lb4oz...
The lower is awesome for big trout 40lb+ .
My new home is Florida, and man do I have a lot of work to do!
Oh yeah, fish around the the steel plant I would get yellows 3-6lb. on a good day. Jigs or salt minnows.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

....MyFishFinder.com...I think you have to have 10 posts before you can see the fishing reports. There is a thread on "Canadarago / Otsego " under NY lakes, that is 11 pages long...

Thanks- that works!

I haven't dug up that thread yet but I will. I actually have a few notes and things I have found already but would love others who might have some more details to add to this as well.

Canadarago Lake is about twice the size of my favorite walleye haunt- Carmi. You can see the hills of Quebec from Carmi Lake, border is prob not more than a mile away. Carmi is about 2-1/4 miles in length and just shy of a mile wide. Canadarago looks to be about 4 miles long and just over a mile wide. The island looks like it would be fun to fish, and I will be checking out the sunken island for sure (which looks about a quarter mile long and a fifth of a mile wide).

Is the island uninhabited? The satellite photo looks that way- no buildings showing.

There is a lot of deeper water on Canadarago. Do any walleye suspend out there? Does anyone troll for anything out there? Here in VT I have caught pike out deep but never have hooked a walleye schooled over 25 feet, 30 feet being my usual deepest. Fish are most always (or I should say the biting fish!) 10-is, 12-ish, to 22 feet deep where I have fished.

Thanks again!

RickV1955

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Never caught a Walleye in New England......never mind Massachusetts.

Was mentioned here of Walleye in Mass......what lake/body of water would that be??

Might have to give it a shot when the weather warms a bit...lol

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Never caught a Walleye in New England......never mind Massachusetts. Was mentioned here of Walleye in Mass......what lake/body of water would that be??

Quabbin still has a few I have heard- but non one I know firsthand has caught any there. They were stocked once but didn't do well mostly due to confusion over what role smelt plays in a waterbody :rolleyes:

Connecticut river is supposed to hold some as well.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
Walleye fishing in the North East

Walleye fishing in the North East

I heard a story of someone putting Walleye into the belgrade lakes a long, long time ago... people were spearing them at night under a light to get them outta there???I thought it might be a "fish story"...

As bouttime007 posted earlier in this thread:
maine inland fisheries

Actually heard there was a healthy population once but illicit fishing practices like you mentioned had eliminated them. The link has the story without the tall tales and urban legends mixed in.

No walleyes, but you can come get these damned pike... they're eating all my salmon and trout!:mad:

You're talking about the pike in Sebago...was sorry to read about that.:mad: Spring pike shooting should be allowed in Sebago Lake like it is in Vermont, and they should put a bounty on them. That will be cheaper than the management it will take to oversee their maturation and the stocking of fish that will be required to feed them :eek:

rirory

Seaman

One day 2 years ago, on Beach Pond in south west RI, i became a walleye fisherman. We were trolling live bait for the holdover trout and caught 8-- 4-6 lb walleyes. Since then, we have duplicated that process each April and June when I return home.

If you fish there, stay around the rocky areas within 500 yds of the boat launch and don't forget the rocky island there too. Nitecrawler double hook spinners around 12-15 ft work great. Good luck and you'll score on a big bass or trout too.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

I heard a story of someone putting Walleye into the belgrade lakes a long, long time ago... people were spearing them at night under a light to get them outta there???
I thought it might be a "fish story"...

Yeah check the link I posted on page one or the link MarkVT posted on this page, they are both for the same article.

Ive never caught a walleye anywhere myself, but they may be gaining numbers in Long Pond. Maybe I'll go check it out when the H2O is liquid again.

Woodstock60

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hear ya rirory, I do love that pond. And what a treat, actually catching walleye in RI. I'll tell you something else, since the have been stockin eyes the perch have been growing quite large in there. Used to be nothing but stunted perch.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Hey Ronnie:

Finally got up to Carmi a few times- last monday and saturday. Bunch of Walleye on Sat- 30+ fish with only two of us on my boat between 7am and noon! Put three in the cooler, and two big horn pout. Zigged 10' to 22' electri-trolling around structure 1.2 to 2.1 mph.

Last Monday there were three of us and we coolered more than ten huge perch 11-14 inches while trolling electric fairly slow: 1.1 to 1.4mph.

Fished with my own handmade crawler harnesses and customized bouncers, and actually boated 3 or four walleye on my "dead rod" which had a 5 Shad Rap run about 80 feet back.

My group 27 trolls like this 5 or 6 hours tops. Tried a friends 29, but not for long enough to kill it so I don't know how much that will prove to improve my run time. Hoping someday for a 55pound Minnkota and two batteries which should last all day, especially if they are 29s. Got to look into gel like yours becaue it may prove out less expensive over time due to its' higher cycle life.

Was a NICE day fishing. It's about time- this year has had slow fishing almost everywhere, other than Champlain.

Call me sometime.