Wakeboard Tower Hull Reinforcement

torpedoseal

Cadet
I am appealing to the fiberglass/hull gurus among you. I bought an aftermarket wakeboard tower and I'm trying to install it to my '95 Mirage 18ft and I need some advice. The tower company recomends the hull thickness to be greater than 3/8 not including the gelcoat at the attachment points. I'm right around 1/4 inch all the way around. <br /> I have asked a few people some have said forget fiberglass just use plywood backing, others have said different. Should I use mat of cloth? Should I incorperate plywood into my fiberglass build up? I really only need a 1/4 inch or so. Would it be strong enough if I just use one pass of mat?<br /> I

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wakeboard Tower Hull Reinforcement

To continue from the other post. Cloth is very thin, it will take more layers to build up what you need. Plus cloth used with polyester will give a poor bond, you will still need to use some mat against the hull.<br /><br />Epoxy is stronger and will get a good bond with cloth, but you will still need many layers.<br /><br />The best method if you have the room, is to use either epoxy or poly and the wood, go a little thicker than 3/8" (total) glass build up and do a larger area than just the bolt pattern of the tower. You are trying to eliminate any flex in the area where its mounted, so a little thicker laminte and the wood will help.

gumball

Seaman Apprentice

just add a wakeboard tower to my boat (69 glastron) used 3/4 hardwood and epoxy with the cloth for strength. works like a dream how often do you see a 36 year old boat with a wakeboard tower on it. nice and solid.

WSUDERMAN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i used alu. plating attached with marine tex on the back sides of mine. by the way you will love the tower! Best thing we did for our boat...

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by gumball:<br /> how often do you see a 36 year old boat with a wakeboard tower on it. nice and solid.
Post us a picture!