Waiting to get the boat in the water

BuckyBadger

Seaman Apprentice
We've had a local boat manufacturer shut their doors last Friday. They also run a marina and do off season storage which unfortunately I utilize. The paper said the marina operations would not be affected however my boat is still not in the water and the phones have been shut off and nobody has been around since last Friday. We just do family recreational boating so our season doesn't really start until Memorial day. But I do like to get it in the water and get it prepped for the season. The marina did get a good number of the boats into the water before last Friday, but for those of us the didn't get put in ????

I'm sure it will get worked out, but I'm starting to get a little impatient and frustrated. There has been no communication from the company. Since I can't get a hold of anyone there I just thought I'd vent to you guys. I keep checking their website hoping for some sort of update but no such luck. And now today the website is shut down.

I don't know for a fact but it sounds like the employees were blindsided as well. Basically they showed up for work and then were told to go home. The paper reported they had people that were there less than a month. Makes you wonder how can you be hiring if you're that close to going under.

I do wish the best for all those that lost their jobs.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Waiting to get the boat in the water

hope it works out for you.

now, can we get any of those new boats from the factory at firesale prices?

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The economy just seems to be getting worse. I have yet to hear any good news for the general population.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Sad to see any business go under. Hope everything works out for you.

BuckyBadger

Seaman Apprentice

Well we finally got an update this morning and its not sounding good. If I'm reading this correctly (and from some of the rumors) it doesn't sound like the bank wants the current owners back in there at all.

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/news/local/article_a5584c1e-5d7c-11df-9f0b-001cc4c002e0.html

Our boat is outside and accessible however it is a pontoon and we can't get at the front to get a trailer under it. Any ideas as to swinging it around??

We also talked to the town administrator and were told that it could possibly be considered tresspassing if we went down and tried to move it ourselves. He suggested we contact an attorny before moving it.

I would like to join the group of owners above. Will be making some phone calls this morning.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, seems like you are in a pickle, and one that is not fun to get out of. Per the article, the bank seems like it might participate in allowing boat owners to remove their property from the marina, as long as it is not part of their collateral. Sounds like the judge is handling things at this point.

I would have your storage contract in hand and start knocking on doors, soon.

If it was me, I would have some car dollies (4) and 2 floor jacks , and some buddies. Lift up the toon, pop the dollies under the tubes and then roll that baby down the launch into the water, tow vehicle waiting!!!!:eek::D

Good luck!

BTW- French Island is a neat spot. We are usually there on the 4th( ish) of July at our friends place....

BuckyBadger

Seaman Apprentice

I did contact the law firm mentioned in the linked article above. I was informed that there is a hearing this afternoon and they will call with an update tomorrow afternoon. I hope its good news. But if its not - I like the car dolly idea but have a couple concerns.
1. The marina has a ramp and of course my boat is right at the top of it and theres a pretty good slope towards the ramp. How many guys would it take to safely move the boat without losing it down the ramp. Although that would make it go a little quicker :rolleyes:. I'm guessing the total weight to be around 3K lbs..

2. How far from the end can I place the jack so there is still room to place the dolly at the end of the toon?

Last edited:

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I did contact the law firm mentioned in the linked article above. I was informed that there is a hearing this afternoon and they will call with an update tomorrow afternoon. I hope its good news. But if its not - I like the car dolly idea but have a couple concerns.
1. The marina has a ramp and of course my boat is right at the top of it and theres a pretty good slope towards the ramp. How many guys would it take to safely move the boat without losing it down the ramp. Although that would make it go a little quicker :rolleyes:. I'm guessing the total weight to be around 3K lbs..

2. How far from the end can I place the jack so there is still room to place the dolly at the end of the toon?

Hope it works out that you do not have to use my suggestion, kinda flippant as it was:eek::D

I would tie a control line to a car/truck/ whatever while rolling it downhill to prevent a runaway toon. And some guys on other control lines on the leading end of things. Maybe put it in bow first for a quick ,ummm, recovery??:D

Given the hill/ sloped nature of the lot you described, I would get the dollies nearest the end of the tubes as possible so as to prevent damage to your tubes or to their pavement. You could even strap them on to the tubes so they do not run away under the water when you launch.

Dont forget to go do this under the cover of night, wearing all black , no moon , no I.D., stealth recovery boat already in the water, and make sure to watch a James Bond flick first.;)

BuckyBadger

Seaman Apprentice

We got the boat in the water and were able to go for a little ride yesterday. <sigh of relief>

It sounds like it will be the same management, new company split off from the manufacturing. I'm not sure what to expect the remainder of the year. I haven't heard anything but I'm sensing that cash flow may still be a problem and if it is how that will affect operations.

We've gotten to know a few of the guys that work on the docks and were able to talk to them yesterday. They are definitely ready to do what they can to help the situation. They put the boat in just so we could take a little ride, they're going to take it back out today and get it cleaned up. So if everything else works out it should still be a good season without too many more hassles.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

cool, glad its working out.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Glad to hear it worked out ok for you. Happy days!:)