Wading pool on deck???

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer
I'd like to set a wading pool up for the kids on my deck, but I don't know if it will bear the weight nor do I know how to calculate this. Here are the particulars:<br /><br />The pool is 6' x 10' x 22" deep. These are the the sizes listed on the package. The sides are inflatble so I believe the interior space is a bit less. Using these figures puts me on the safe size of the equation. <br /><br />I calculate the total maximum volume to be 120 cubic feet. I know that 1 cubic foot is the equivalent of 7.5 gallons and that one gallon weighs 8.34 pounds. With these factors I calculate the total number of gallons to be 900 with a total weight of 7,506 pounds.<br /><br />My deck is constructed of cedar 5/4 x 6" decking over green-treated 2x10x14'6" joists spaced 12" apart and hung on joist hangers on both ends. On the house end the joist hangers are attached to a ledger board of the same dimensions and attached to the house with galvanized lag bolts which run through doubled up 2x12s which are part of the house framing. (Sorry - don't know the term for these off hand). On the other end the joists are hung on doubled up 2x10s which sit on top of green treated 6x6 posts that are approximately 6' apart. The posts sit on top of concrete footings that run 36" deep.<br /><br />The deck is much bigger than this, but the portion I want to use for the pool is basically 14'6" x approximately 12' and I'd run the pool from side to side so as to have it supported by the maximum number of joists possible.<br /><br />The websites I found regarding this load calculation indicate that a deck built to code (as mine is) can support MUCH more than this - but I really don't want to find out otherwise. <br /><br />What do you guys think?

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Wading pool on deck???

I have no idea if the deck you describe can support that load, BUT, I do know decks for hot tubs are built MUCH beefier than normal decks...and hot tubs are usually closer to 500 gallons.<br /><br />If that deck was only designed for people, I can't think of any reason why anyone would build it to support the weight of two pickup trucks...

Bondo

Staff member

I Don't see a Problem,..... And,... The Pool Doesn't Have to be filled Full..........

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

This is a kid's wading pool so I can't imagine it's total capacity is twice that of a hot tub. With that said, the weight will be considerable. I'm pretty sure the deck can carry the load but I'm not sure it can when the load is concentrated in a 6x10 area. Then again, that is a lot of weight in such a small area. You're right - I wouldn't park two pickups on it. <br /><br />I've done the math a couple of times but maybe I'm using the wrong calculations somewhere?

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

OK - I found some of the miscalculation although I can't identify where the error occurred. The package for the pool indicates that it will hold 289 gallons which calculates to 2,410 pounds - which is considerably less than the 7,506 pounds I calculated. <br /><br />The package indicates that 289 gallon figure assumes the pool is filled to 60% of the wall height. I think this along with the fact that the I'm using the exterior dimensions rather than the actual interior dimensions might explain the difference in total volume. I wouldn't fill it all the way but I wanted to calculate to the maximum potential volume in the event that someone fills it all the way up. With kids this will happen sooner or later right?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Do you have room below the deck to add in a few 4 x 4 upright supports and a cross bracing under your joists? They would probably add a piece of mind. In addition take an accurate measurement and after it is installed take another one.... this will give you the flex and maybe help you decide to add supports.<br /><br />FYI a decent size hot tub holds that much water and people install those on decks all the time.

tommays

Admiral

Given the amount of Deck Collapses (just google it)i would be sure its over a main beam or add some post as Bob suggests <br /><br />tommays

Ron G

Commander

like bob said,for the money and time its very easy to add some supports,and rember when you add pools alot of people seem to flock around that area whichs increases weight.add the supports no need in taking chances with a collapse in a deck.

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replies. I'll beef it up with another post before putting the pool out there. I don't want to find out it's a problem the hard way. <br /><br />Thanks again.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

60-70# per square foot, no problem.<br /><br />Would you be worried if you were to line up 24 adults for a group photo in the same 60 sq foot area?<br /><br />If so, then don't do it.

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just built my deck and added a hot tub on it, I put this under the center of the hot tub:<br /><br />
DSCF1745.jpg
<br /><br />My tub is about 250 gallons, no issues yet.

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for posting the photo. That's what I had in mind after adding suppport was suggested. I broke my leg recently so this project won't happen until next year.<br /><br />I think the deck will support the weight the pool itself but you get kids splashing around and I'll have horizontal loads that may tend to want to pull the deck out from the ledger board. For regular use this isn't such a concern, but that's a lot of momentum moving side to side. I'll probably add a few threaded rods running the same direction as the joists to lock it in a bit while I'm at it. <br /><br />Thanks again for the replies.

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sorry to hear about your leg, thats a real bummer I feel for you :(

rottenray6402

Ensign

A "normal deck" designed to meet code here for live load would be 2X6 joists on 16" centers with a span of not more than 12 ft. With 2X10 joists 12" on center you should have more than enough strength as is. I'm the king of over kill so if it were me I probably would add a carrier beam like Johnsan1's just to be worry free. Your deck is built extremely strong by code standards. By the way the 2X12's under your house are called rim joists, sorry about the broken leg.