VRO system for 1985 Johnson 140 hp ?

Jim Robbins

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I picked up a 1985 Johnson 140 hp (J140TLCO) and was mounting it and I needed a few things. So I was talking to the local marine mechanic and he said that "he would not use the Variable Ratio Oil System, they cause a lot of problems, and that boaters with VRO come in for repairs". What do you think?
I have been mixing my fuel all along (1982 Evinrude 140 hp).
If I do have the VRO system removed, will parts from my blown 1982 Evinrude 140 hp fit onto the 1985 Johnson 140 hp?
What parts have to change (ie: fuel pump, ect.)?
Should I have all the work done by the marine mechanic?
Thank-you very much for your advice!

Rev.

Seaman
Re: VRO system for 1985 Johnson 140 hp ?

well jim, i have a 1986 GT150, and my marine mechanic told me to get rid of the vro and mix myself, he stated that johnsons vro was not very reliable unless you wanted to spend alot on new pumps and stuff. so as for me, i took his advice and jerked the vro out and mix my own, i feel better about just knowing for sure there is the right mixture going in my motor, cause them suckers ain't cheap, even for our old anchors.

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer

Oh boy...here we go!

Jim you've asked a loaded question. Do a search on "VRO" and you can read for about a month on the posts debating the VRO system.

I have the same engine as you (1986 140) and still use the oiling system without any problems. I think it is great and very reliable as long as it is maintained properly. I did replace my fuel/oil pump a few years ago, not because it was causing problems, but just because it was almost 20 years old and I figured the internal diaphram in the pump was probably due to break down at some point.

There is a great article on the VRO system that you should read. It is in the FAQ section of the outboard repair forum. Hopefully this link will work.....

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158081

Can't help you much on the interchangability of parts questions, however, I would guess that few, if any, could be swapped. The reason being that I believe your 82 140 is a "crossflow" and your 1985 140 is a "looper". Two very different engines.

Hopefully someone else can come along to confirm the above for you.

Good luck!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Like anything else, if maintained properly and updated with the latest components, it will be reliable...