VRO Alcohol Resistance

jmcgill

Seaman Apprentice
What year did OMC (if ever) begin to build VRO or VRO2 pumps that were alcohol resistant. I've heard conflicting things from the famous Bill Grannis article which says alcohol resistance was started with the VRO2 in 1986, and others that say only the latest (1993-present) pumps are alcohol resistant. Which is right?

I just want to make sure that I'm protecting my new (to me) 115 with VRO from some of the stuff they're putting in fuel these days.

Thanks,

Joe

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: VRO Alcohol Resistance

If it's the article I think it is, Bill describes the visual differences between the VRO, VRO II and the OMS pumps. I believe he relates the visual differences to the alcohol resistance and working differences. In any case, you can absolutely trust his statements as fact.

I run only the OMS pumps on my motors so that's one less thing I have to worry about. And they have the latest electronics also.

jmcgill

Seaman Apprentice
Re: VRO Alcohol Resistance

I'm starting to lean that way as well..but as for most of us, money doesn't grow on trees, and getting a NOS VRO pump for like $20 would certainly save money.

It all comes down to whether I want to take chances with my motor....and that's almost always a 'no'.

Thanks