VP DP-SM drain screw leaking

HiWard

Seaman Apprentice
So I took another look after replacing the o-ring (again).
IMG_7233.jpeg
Still a bit of oil around the drain plug, so I figured I would unscrew the dipstick to let some air in at the top thinking that would accelerate the leak. So I did, and I heard a hiss as the dipstick came loose. A good sign I think. No visible increase in the leakage at the drain plug

I put my flashlight to the prop shaft housing for a better look. I noticed some gear oil accumulated below the bearing carrier. Crap, I thought, but then i noticed that the forks on the trolley which the stern drive rests on are sagging a bit giving the drive a slight tilt towards the front. It would have been like this as I changed the oil and some of the gear oil may well have gone into the prop shaft housing rather than into my oil pan.

So now I stuffed some rags in there to clean out most of the oil, propped the drive trolley so the drive rests level with the surface and will leave it over night. Fingers crossed, this may have been a ghost chase from the beginning 😳

HiWard

Seaman Apprentice
So to conclude this thread I have checked for leaks again after cleaning out the prop housing and leaving the drive level for a few days. I’m happy to report no oil is observed at the drain screw as shown in the photo below.
IMG_7236.jpeg
Compare this image to my post #24

I’d like to thank everyone who shared their opinions and advice. In the end there may or may not have been a leak, but I’ve certainly learned a lesson along the way; don’t change the gear lube with the drive at an angle allowing oil to flow into the prop shaft housing.

The design of my drive trolley makes the drive not sit level, but sag toward the front. I’ve now propped itup with som scrap wood at the front.
IMG_7191.jpeg

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
So to conclude this thread I have checked for leaks again after cleaning out the prop housing and leaving the drive level for a few days. I’m happy to report no oil is observed at the drain screw as shown in the photo below.
View attachment 392105
Compare this image to my post #24

I’d like to thank everyone who shared their opinions and advice. In the end there may or may not have been a leak, but I’ve certainly learned a lesson along the way; don’t change the gear lube with the drive at an angle allowing oil to flow into the prop shaft housing.

The design of my drive trolley makes the drive not sit level, but sag toward the front. I’ve now propped itup with som scrap wood at the front.
View attachment 392106
What brand of drive trolley and would you recommend it?

HiWard

Seaman Apprentice
What brand of drive trolley and would you recommend it?
I live in Norway, but I believe these trolleys are actually imported from the US. I've looked at several and decided on this which has the abillity to raise and lower the drive, but also to tilt it from side to side. If I were to buy it again, I'd probably forfeit the ability to tilt and save some money.

The trolley is extremely practical when removing and installing the drive by yourself, especially for me as I store my boat at the marina in the winter. It's also great for storage and maintenance as I store the drive at home in my garage. Just make sure you prop the drive level before changing the gear oil as it will sag a bit at the front end :)

If this sounds like features you would appreciate, then yes I recommend a trolley like this.