VP 280: exhaust water out helmet area

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all
I just pulled apart a VP 280 for a transom rebuild and (the the best of my ability) put everything back together. On the exhaust side of things this included new YPipes, rebuilt water pump, fresh bellows, resized some existing 3/4” water intakes to 1.25” etc.

I’m now seeing when the boat is at idle that I have water pouring out above the water line, that seems like it’s just gushing around the steering helmet/forks area. Pretty sure it never did that prior…but I also probs it Possible my exhaust bellow came off or something?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You sure you are not seeing bubbling up from the idle relief ports? Or exhaust bellows are not on correctly

Unless your bilge is full of water, no way for water to get to the steering fork to exit that way

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I’m not sure what the ideal relief ports are? My assumption was that it was the exhaust bellow had come loose. Am I stupid to not haul it and deal with it or is that just a minor problem that can be dealt with later?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Depends.

Idle relief ports are at bottom of Y-pipe

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The attached pic is of the new install. Is the circled part where the idle relief would be? I guess in my old transom shield/y-pipe that went to the remnants of a completely blown out hose. In this new shield/y-pipe I guess it is plugged (although to be honest I don’t remember if the plug is in the transoms shield or in the Y-pipe itself and it’s hRd to tell from my pic)

So I guess this implies that it is indeed my exhaust bellow that came off? But now I wonder if it’s a problem that I don’t have an idle relief anymore ? 🫠1F32B0EB-3F3D-43D8-856E-7AAF92B4F11F.jpeg

Jaegerboy

Seaman Apprentice
The attached pic is of the new install. Is the circled part where the idle relief would be? I guess in my old transom shield/y-pipe that went to the remnants of a completely blown out hose. In this new shield/y-pipe I guess it is plugged (although to be honest I don’t remember if the plug is in the transoms shield or in the Y-pipe itself and it’s hRd to tell from my pic)

So I guess this implies that it is indeed my exhaust bellow that came off? But now I wonder if it’s a problem that I don’t have an idle relief anymore ? 🫠View attachment 385909
That looks like a single relief port plug with what looks like a small hole in it. Assuming that the Y pipe is a single relief as well. That would explain the bubbles coming up around the helmet. The proper relief port would exit through the hole in the transom you see on the right side. Link https://marinepartssource.com/hook-rubber-843235

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Dang I don’t know why I wasn’t paying attention to that when I installed it all. I attached a pic of the YPipe I had bought. Seems like it does have the one relief port. So that plug must be in the transom shield.

That hook rubber in your link looks like the remnants of whatever was leftover in my prior setup, but it was so blown out it didn’t actually divert water anywhere.

So I guess I’m still a little confused. I should be hauling the boat and hoping that I can pull that plug out of the transom shield so water can get through there? I’m doing some reading, but I’m still a little unclear the purpose of the idle relief and the risk of not having it.

The fact that I’m seeing bubbles must mean that my bellow has also fallen off though right? Or maybe the plug in the idle relief blew out?14C80708-9596-4DEF-A2C8-FB0E06FC2959.jpeg

Scott Danforth

Staff member
you need the idle relief for the motor to be able to idle with a wet exhaust.

just like if you back your car in the water and the exhaust is underneath. as some point the backpressure in the exhaust will stop the motor. same goes with boats. all marine motors with exhaust thru the drive have an idle relief port.

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok not to beat a deadhorse…but seems like every question I ask opens up a Pandora’s box…I have so much to learn still lol

So today I idled at higher rpm’s (like 1,600’ish) and saw water come out the helmet area, BUT also big bubbles came from down deeper (see attached pic)

So I’m wondering if everything is actually ok? Maybe water is exiting the idle relief port, but since that hook rubber hose is missing it’s just shooting water out the back of the transoms rather than the side of it? It never did that with my old set up but…

I assume those larger bubbles in the pic indicate that my exhaust bellow is indeed intact?

The marina water is not the best, but I could also get in and feel around to see if idle relief port is plugged or if bellow fell off I guess

Any reason a test spin is a bad idea? So far I haven’t done more then idle it at the dock..
940D979E-0493-47E5-8509-23DC535717EB.png

Last edited:

captmello

Captain
before heading out, I would confirm you are not leaking water into the boat where the idle relief passes through from the ypipe to the transom shield. I never had to remove my y pipe so I don't know how it is sealed. good luck