VovloPenta / DPE trim goes down but does not go up

Bfrem

Recruit
I have two volvo penta engines AD31 With two DPE drives. The trims go down when i press down, but they do not go up when i press up, even if i press the red lock button. the trim goes both up and down if i connect directly from the 12 volt battery (so the pump works well ). I replaced the relays and the up still doesnt work. The could it be that the guage is not working well? Can you help ?

alldodge

Staff member
Is the "red lock button" the trailer button or something else?

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks
I'm thinking either a broken connection.

VP DP trim wiring.jpg
fetch

Bfrem

Recruit
Its strange that i have the same issue on both trims / drives (the boat has two engines). Can you explain more about the broken connection ?

alldodge

Staff member
Power comes into the trim motor and is connected to the relays. When the down button is pressed power goes from the down button, thru the green wire to a realy which powers the motor in the down direction.

When up button is pressed the same thing should happen thru the Blue wire to the other relay. The trailer button bypasses the trim limit and with you not getting any up function, the I'm thinking a broken connection. The break can be from corrosion in the connectors.

Pull the connectors apart and use an ohm meter to check continuity of the wires and their connections. Can also push the trailer button and measure voltage thru the wiring connections

Bfrem

Recruit
Ok thanks, ill try that tomorrow
The trimmer (part number 872498) does not seem to work properly. One trimmer always shows a negative signal, and the second trimmer is off.
1- are the trimmers and the signal related to the up / down buttons ?
2- how does the trimmer detect the level of the drive? Is there a sensor ? Can i calibrate ?

alldodge

Staff member
If trimmers mean the digital gauges then yes, and the gauges get there information from the trim senders which are on the outdrive. In the first pic in post 4 note the trim sender at the top center and the trim gauge is lower left

have you found your issue ? I have the same problem but only on my port engine, it does not want to go up... i read somewhere that it can be the lock button on the EVC module... i have to check.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've had terminals in the connector for the relays corrode and break and I've also had the contact inside the helm switch break. Both easy fixes but drove me crazy trying to figure it out

same here (getting crazy!) but i found it,, its my trim sensor,,, and because its not program correctly my EVC always think im full trim up... so it does not want to go up anymore ... ;)