Vortec head conversion on non Vortec engine

Si Rey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have an 89 Sundancer with a 5.7L and Alpha 1 outdrive.
Can I install 5.7 vortec heads on my engine? and if so would I need to replace intake manifold or any other components? I do have a 4bbl carb installed now.

I called E Basic Power and was informed I cannot install Vortec heads on a non Vortes engine?

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Re: Vortec head conversion on non Vortec engine

Seems like everyone is jumping on the "vortec" bandwagon........

As far as I know all you need to replace are the heads, intake manifold and rocker arms...I have done the same upgrade before.

Si Rey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I saw the thread on the conversion. I didn't know if his 95 5.7L would be the same as mine being a 89. Much cheaper to ask a stupid question than to explain to my buddies on the lake a $1,000 mistake.

John_S

Rear Admiral

If it is an '89 engine it is of same vintage as other thread. If it is an '89 boat it might have the prior vintage. Engine serial number?

Si Rey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Engine ser. is OC635285

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That is the outdrive SN, need the engine SN.

Si Rey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well let me get my stuff right, try this OC520620

John_S

Rear Admiral

Engine ser. is OC635285

MercuryPartsExpress does not recognize that serial number. Check to see if you are missing a digit or number difference.

If you did have the early vintage, you can still use vortec heads. It would require the self-aligning rockers. The earlier vintage probably has flat-top pistons and 76cc heads, vs recessed pistons and 64cc heads. It means that the vortec heads would raise your compression ratio, and you might have to slightly compensate for that, ignition timing, premium gas, thicker head gasket, etc.

You would need center bolt style valve covers, gaskets, and as mentioned vortec intake.

Si Rey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I called Jegs for info and pricing. Gm replacement heads with self aligning rockers, pushrods, valves, new aluminum intake for a 4 bbl will work and is right @ $1000.

As far as the ser # goes those are all the digits that are shown on the engine? I might consider local salvage yard/friends/craigs list for someone parting out a wrecked 5.7L vortec and invest around $100-$300 to accomplish the same.

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Vortec heads are one of THE best bang for the buck heads you can buy for the SBC. If you are a ford guy its kind of like buying the GT40 heads off an explorer. As for the conversion you will need a different intake manifold and intake gaskets as the vortec useses less bolts to attach the maniforld and the bolts enter the head at a different angle. You will also need to have self aligning rockers or have a machine shop swap the rocker studs from press in to screw in studs and add the pushrod guide plates. In addition the pushrods need to be .1 inch longer as the valve sit slightly higher. You may also want to confirm the cam you have in the motor to ensure that it will not exceed .480" of valve lift as it will cause the keepers to hit the valve seal. With a stock cam, it will likely not be a problem but its better safe than finding out the hard way...

John_S

Rear Admiral

In addition the pushrods need to be .1 inch longer as the valve sit slightly higher. ...

I'd be interested in where that info came from. Last I knew, there were just two lengths for stock GM sbc 350. One for hyd flat and shorter ones for hyd roller.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Well let me get my stuff right, try this OC520620

MercuryParts Express did not give me a year for that serial number. Sorry. Probably the easiest way to tell is the valve covers. Do you have center-bolt or perimeter bolt covers?

John_S

Rear Admiral

I don't know why folks are so interested in the Vortec head.
There are many, many good heads available for the SBC for all block styles.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=small block chevy heads&dds=1

Many racers think that the Brodix product is among the best but the Trick Flow stuff is well proven too.

Because they make good affordable HP and are stock on newer engines. Just about any other head will be more $ and unless you are trying to make performance "go-fast" boat, probably not worth it to "average" boaters.

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd be interested in where that info came from. Last I knew, there were just two lengths for stock GM sbc 350. One for hyd flat and shorter ones for hyd roller.

Appologize for the confusion, I used Edelbrock Etec, which are an aluminum version and I was thinking of the edelbrock pushrods. From the instructions it reads

"To use stock stamped steel rockers on small-block Chevy heads, +.100" longer than stock Edelbrock pushrods #9629 or equivalent are required"

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It is an 89 engine, and it does have roller lifters.

SawDust{RM}

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was going to do the same thing myself
The 94 Block I was going to use didn't have a Harmonic Balancer, there were 3 different variations during that year, I did find a balancer to match the serial number. but for $200 more than buying the new heads, intake, balancer, rebuild of the block, gaskets etc, After all considerations I'm buying a new 2010 Engine, with a warranty only be it 12months. So now I just have to get it all dressed out with my old parts
But I found Vortec heads @ $150 reman, & the 8 hole intake for $175 if your going to build it yourself, make sure you get the right heads.
All production V6-90 heads are cast iron. Many V6-90s are called Vortec engines by GM, but not all have the good Vortec cylinder heads. The '96-and-up V6-90 head should have the true Vortec-style kidney-bean chamber and vertical intake-manifold bolt pattern. According to the Cylinder Head Exchange, look for casting Nos. 772, 140, or 113.