Volvo SX Shift Cable Replacement

Oskarol

Cadet
Hi Guys,

Think I have a broken shift cable but the symptoms don't quite make sense. I have a Volvo SX Cobra drive.

The boat was stuck in forward gear today, nothing on the throttle lever would bring it into neutral or reverse.

When I opened up the cover on the drive, the shift lever was in forward, and the lever in neutral. I could move the lever by hand into neutral and reverse. When I manipulate the throttle lever, it will 'pull' the drive into forward gear but will not 'push' it back into neutral or reverse. Does this sound like a broken cable? I would assume nothing would happen if it were a broken cable... but what else could it really be? Everything else seemed to check out... including the clip on the drive that secures the cable.

Second question, if it is the cable that needs to be replaced... how do I remove the neutral button to pop the throttle handle off? I did manage to remove the Allen set screw, but this middle button will not pop off. Any help?

Attachments

• 20220511_191611.jpg
    20220511_191611.jpg
    967.4 KB · Views: 2

Oskarol

Cadet
So I answered my second question. The button is covered by rubber, peeling that off revealed a Philips screw.

First question remains, does this sound like a bad shift cable?

kenny nunez

Captain
Very good chance that is the problem. in rare cases the end of the cable is not connected to the lever.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Here is a link to the VP cables page, took me ages to find it. Then 2 days to get the cable free for measuring, from the Transom shield that had 23 seasons of marine growth stopping it moving.

Oskarol

Cadet
Thanks. Cable was connected to the lever. New cable ordered. Hopefully that is the problem. Will post back only if the issue remains.

Oskarol

Cadet
Just an update to round out the thread. I took things apart and found the plastic barrel on the shift cable at the controller end had broken apart. Explains the problem. New cable on order.