Volvo shunt 885163-6 vs. 888863

cmartin

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
27
I'm probably validating the need for Volvo's OEM manuals, but is there a difference between the distributor shunt I've read so much about with the P/N 885163-6 and a shunt with the P/N 888863?

I know my SELOC manual is only good for kindling (or maybe a low step stool), but it refers to the second shunt above and I can't find any reference to it anywhere.

I have the 3.0 GLP-C, 2005 and I'm pretty sure the first part above is all I need to properly set the timing.

Also, to make my own, I get which pins need to be jumped and that one goes to B+, but can you buy connectors at an auto parts store or radio shack that will fit each individual pin or are there generic "4-pin" connectors you can buy? If not, do you just rig it with something like narrow alligator clips and wire?

Thanks...Chris
 

bruceb58

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 5, 2006
Messages
30,824
Re: Volvo shunt 885163-6 vs. 888863

The 885163 is the shunt for the non-efi models. Not sure what that other number is but if you have a carb...which I believe you do, That is what you need.
 

TilliamWe

Banned
Joined
Dec 21, 2004
Messages
6,579
Re: Volvo shunt 885163-6 vs. 888863

If you are talking about putting your engine into base timing mode by shunting the two places on that computer plug looking thing, I used a paper clip on my Mercruiser.
 

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
62,321
Re: Volvo shunt 885163-6 vs. 888863

Yes, the 885163-6 is what you want. Costs about 10 bucks.
 

cmartin

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
27
Re: Volvo shunt 885163-6 vs. 888863

Thanks as always guys. I can't wait to see how all looks after this tune up (once all the parts arrive).
 

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
62,321
Re: Volvo shunt 885163-6 vs. 888863

Where did this 888863 number come from? It does show up in Volvo, but only as a tool, for $80. But nothing about for what, when, why or anything else.
 

Rustychain

Cadet
Joined
Jun 4, 2009
Messages
27
Re: Volvo shunt 885163-6 vs. 888863

I'm also waiting for this 885163 to come in, but not coming til next week.
My plan today is to check junkyards for approx1993-1995 Chevy S-10 trucks and blazers with 4.3's.
The do not use this shunt/jumper thing, but I think the distributor is same and this 4-pin connector is wired into the vehicle wiring harness so the ECM can controltiming. If this is correct, then I should be able to unplug it from the junker, cut the wires from the wire harness and that will give me a connector to make my own tool???
 

Rustychain

Cadet
Joined
Jun 4, 2009
Messages
27
Re: Volvo shunt 885163-6 vs. 888863

UPDATE:
At lunchtime, I visited junkyard and recovered the needed connector from the distributor of a mid-1990's chevy S-10 Blazer with a 4.3L engine. took 5 minutes to locate the suitable vehicle with EST distributor, and cut off the connector. Cost me $5.00.
Now I'll use this diagram to complete the tool.
http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12886&d=1211669914

Antoher UPDATE:
Used it tonight to set the timing and it worked perfect. I'm goin' boatin'
 
Top