Volvo sea water pump rebuild question /

ron3033

Seaman
Volvo /OMC sea water pump 3858847. 6.5 inch pulley
Saw older post here by Sparkinator, it seemed to say you could change the shaft seal behind the impeller without disassembly of the pump(as long as bearings turn smooth).
Seal is. SKF Rotary Shaft Seal: 1 Lip w/Spring, HMS5, Nitrile, 16 mm ID, 28 mm OD, 7 mm Wd
Item 40J957Mfr. Model 16X28X7 HMS5 RG. Far as I know this is the seal.
Any one know if possible,?? As I do not have reputable repair where I am....(usually they cost way more in labor & excess parts unnecessarily needed.) Nor do I have a press etc.
Thanks
ron3033

Last edited:

ESGWheel

Chief Petty Officer
While I do not know, I can suggest this: get an already rebuilt one at this link or you can email him your question > I believe he will answer. I have used him in the past (as have many others) as well as asked for guidance. I have found him to be responsive and his product as advertised and fairly priced.

ron3033

Seaman
Hi thank you
I actually did ask him about seal only and he said I could try it. By
Yes, Joe is very attentive and was super fast to reply. I will try his seal and if that does not work send it to be done.

ESGWheel

Chief Petty Officer
I do not know for sure but suspect he is an older fart than I am. My assessment is he is a great guy trying to good by helping others and eke out a living doing it. Glad you reached out to him. 😊