Volvo Penta V8-430-CE-M Overheating

nrhansen

Cadet
Vids do not work on PC but did on my phone. The clear hose hooked to the output of pump I assume. What I saw was the 1763 movie file (on lake) showing no water flowing in the clear hose > was splashing around, but not flowing. And the 1758 vid (on hose) shows water flowing but not a full solid stream.

Zooming in on the pump housing it does look damaged. While the dent in the outer edge is probably not relevant there appears to be a non-factory hole, see red circle in pic below.

I am sticking with the RWP is the issue. What is its part number?
Wow, I didn't notice that. I wonder if the debris that caused that hole damaged the original impeller enough to cause it to fail starting this whole mess.

nrhansen

Cadet
Vids do not work on PC but did on my phone. The clear hose hooked to the output of pump I assume. What I saw was the 1763 movie file (on lake) showing no water flowing in the clear hose > was splashing around, but not flowing. And the 1758 vid (on hose) shows water flowing but not a full solid stream.

Zooming in on the pump housing it does look damaged. While the dent in the outer edge is probably not relevant there appears to be a non-factory hole, see red circle in pic below.

The fiber reinforced hose on the right is the output and the clear hose on the left is the input. I can't get the part number right now; the website I use is not working.

nrhansen

Cadet

That sure does look like a hole but it was just a small piece of the old impeller that came out from behind the back plate in the pump.

nrhansen

Cadet
Looking at other threads I read that grooves worn in the impeller pump cover can cause this problem. So, I flipped the impeller pump cover over as suggested and all of the bubbles went away with the engine running. I checked to see if it would be the case with the tape removed from the out drive and it ran cool without the tape. I took it to the lake and it stayed cool on the trailer so I launched and ran it about for over 10 minutes with no problem and the impeller housing staying cool.

Flipping the cover over solved the problem.

Thank you everyone for your generous help maybe we all learned something here.

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here is the logic I used.

Frist off, is the initial reason for overheating an unknown? This is very odd especially for a boat only a few years old and only used in freshwater. Also, the impeller melting is an oddity as well. I have never heard of them melting, breaking apart yes, but not melting. However, my experience is limited in this area. Pictures of the melted impeller if you still have it would be interesting. And you replaced the impeller yourself? Point is that the RWP seems to be the initial culprit and perhaps remains so.

Now for the other part: these RWPs are a flexible impeller vane type. That means it’s a positive displacement pump and water should not pass from inlet to outlet unless the impeller is not sealing (i.e. its broke or somehow has excessive clearance between the impeller vane and the housing. Thus a ‘non-sealing’ impeller would not pump as expected, leading to overheating. When you hook up the garden hose you have between 40 and 70 PSI of pressure from it. Again, the pump is not pumping as expected but the hose water has enough pressure to get by the impeller but only if you are blocking up the drive’s inlet.

Thus, this logic points to the pump. I get that it sucked in a bucket of water and cannot account for that. But here is a statement: Everything appears to be up to snuff but it overheats, therefore something is wrong. Don’t shoot me for this oversimplification, but I am back to what I do when nothing is wrong but still does not work. My recommendation: pull the pump apart and post lots of pictures.
Melting of the impeller is typically because the engine was started without water going to the pump.

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Melting of the impeller is typically because the engine was started without water going to the pump.
Thanks and that makes sense. Not sure how long it would take and I am not willing to find out 😊

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Looking at other threads I read that grooves worn in the impeller pump cover can cause this problem. So, I flipped the impeller pump cover over as suggested and all of the bubbles went away with the engine running. I checked to see if it would be the case with the tape removed from the out drive and it ran cool without the tape. I took it to the lake and it stayed cool on the trailer so I launched and ran it about for over 10 minutes with no problem and the impeller housing staying cool.

Flipping the cover over solved the problem.

Thank you everyone for your generous help maybe we all learned something here.
Flipped a few covers myself. But the one I was working on in my previous post, that didn't work.

nrhansen

Cadet
Thanks and that makes sense. Not sure how long it would take and I am not willing to find out 😊
It took about 5 minutes :unsure: I'm sure it had been running hot previous trips before without tripping the alarm damaging the impeller enough to lead to a near complete failure at start up that last time and throughout my diagnostics.

It was the clear hoses that told me what I needed to know and, the need for tape on the drive inlets was a strong clue the pump wasn't okay.