Volvo Penta Trim not working

Cournane

Cadet
I have a 2008 Glastron GT185 with a I/O Volvo Penta Engine 3.0GLP SX-A drive. The boat has been in the water about 4 months. The last time I took the boat for a trip the drive was slow to go down ( 20 seconds, normally 10 seconds), but did go down. However would not could back up. I did check the relays ,fuses, connections per the other threads, these seem ok. The trim pump is making a noise as if it is working. I got into the water and can manually lift the prop in the water and can feel the the hydraulic trim cylinders about 3 inches only. They do not move more that 3" even if I press the trim switch on the throttle. This is less than 50% moment during normal operation.
I am a little confused. The electrics seem o.k, the pump seems to be working, If I had no hydraulic fluid I would expect to be able to lift the prop up fully but cannot, the hydraulic cylinders move 3" manually so they are not frozen but move zero distance by the trim switch. I am going to take the boat our of the water but I keep the trailer 100 miles from the boat so it a pain to do this. I welcome any advice.

jestor68

Commander
Re: Volvo Penta Trim not working

Did you check the level in the power trim pump reservoir?

Cournane

Cadet

I could not check the fluid level as I believe its outside the transom and the boat is in the water still. But I would have thought if I had zero fluid I could manually push up the prop fully. But it lifts manually easily for about 3 inches and then its a hard stop. If I had some fluid I would expect it to move using the trim switch at least 1/2 inch. Could it still be the fluid level?

jestor68

Commander

It's inside the engine compartment, usually mounted on or near the transom off to one side of the engine.

Cournane

Cadet

According to the manual the Trim pump is located on the sterndrive and to check the level correctly the drive needs to be fully down and turned fully to port. There is a cap on the trim pump that when opened the oil level should be to the top. Am I miss understanding what you are saying or is it that the volvo penta engine could have a better design?

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The SX-A has the pump mounted on the outside of the transom. There is a known problem of leaks from the earlier drives. Do a search and you will find an extensive thread on the changing out of the pump for a new model supplied by Volvo Penta.