Volvo Penta SX-M ?- no water to raw water pump

Tahoe Mike

Recruit
1995 Four Winns with 5.8 and Volvo Penta SX outdrive. Engine overheated first time out, idled thru no-wake zone but once we accelerated engine overheated and shut down. Pulled the raw water pump, rubber impellor blades in pieces so I replaced the impellor re-installed. Large hose on pump seems to be intake from outdrive water slots. Backflushed with water hose and flow good from pump intake hose to outdrive slots. With muffs installed and water flowing into outdrive slots NO water coming to pump from intake hose ???
Tried running engine with muffs for about a minute still no water coming thru intake hose to feed the pump. Someone replied previously to my inquiry and said that there is no "pump" in the outdrive that sends raw water to the raw water pump. I can accept that but why isn't water reaching the pump when I'm sending water into the system thru the muffs?
I was hoping to run the engine long enough to hit operating temperature 150-160 degrees and observe the cooling system was operating before putting it in the water but with not water getting to the raw water pump from the muffs I don't see that scenario working.
Outdrive is in down position while I was using the muffs - still no water to pump
Please advise on what I'm not seeing here Thanks

Attachments

• Outdrive Cover Removed pic.jpg
    Outdrive Cover Removed pic.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Cobra Outdrive pic.jpg
    Cobra Outdrive pic.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 4

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
From the drive to the pump = suction side
from the pump to the THERMOSTAT HOUSING =pressure side
Remove the thermostst housing and remove and rubber pieces
Make sure you have the hoses at the pump connected correctly = inlet to inlet

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You have an OMC Cobra drive not a Volvo Penta they are different.
Make sure you have the hoses connected the correct way round at the pump.
Lou C has an OMC Cobra drive he might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Last edited:

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
He has an OMC Cobra SX drive, which is the joint venture with Volvo and the same as the Volvo SX-M drive. There is no pump in the drive, like older OMC drives.

@Tahoe Mike, First, I would backflush the entire system to clean out the impeller debris. Disconnect both hoses from the pump, and back flush from the thermostat housing to the pump. There is a power steering cooler between them. Look for debris in the thermostat housing also.

Though not quite matching your symptoms, there is a plastic fitting in the drive where the water hose connects to the drive that can break. Raise the drive all the way up and look on the port side below the drive bellows for where the water hose attaches to the drive. Move the hose to confirm it's firmly attached to the drive. If not, pull the drive and replace the fitting. It may be cracked and sucking air.

Otherwise, I would repeat your hose flow checks from pump to outdrive, then reconnect all hoses, verifying the correct inlet and outlet hoses on the pump, and run the engine on muffs and confirm water flow from the exhaust of the drive.