Volvo Penta SX Hydraulic Trim

challis

Cadet
I have a newer 2010 Crownline 21SS with 5.0 Volvo Penta SX outdrive. Only 20 hrs on the boat. Took the boat out yesterday trailered as usual. Did all the usual checks. Drove home 40 minutes went to back the boat up into my driveway as usual and skeg hit the curb bending it and breaking off the tip. I jumped in the boat and tried to trim it up but nothing happened. The gauge still showed it fully raised. I jumped out and felt around and there was a little hydraulic oil coating the outdrive.

I am 99% sure I fully trimmed up the drive and believe I checked it on the trailer. I am not going to say its not possible I made that up but it is very unlikely. The dealer is closed today. I used a strap and raised the outdrive to get it into its parking spot.

The hydraulic unit is mounted on the transom. Seems like there's oil around the block where the four lines go in. Is it likely that one of the seals failed and allowed the outdrive to fall while I was driving home? Any recommendations on where to start looking at the problem? Is this likely to be covered under warranty? If not I'll tackle it myself. I guess I'd start by replacing the seals at the block and testing if I don't get other advise. Any pointers welcomed and thanks in advance!!

-c

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta SX Hydraulic Trim

I jumped in the boat and tried to trim it up but nothing happened. The gauge still showed it fully raised.

Didn't the pump run? or did you just look at the gauge.

If the pump runs, have someone run the trim up and down while you look to see where the oil is coming from.

challis

Cadet

have someone run the trim up and down while you look to see where the oil is coming from.

Pump runs. It's coming from the housing where the 4 hydraulic lines are fitted. Thats what I suspected. Should be easy to pull the cover plate and replace seals just not sure if it would be covered under warranty. Seems like this shouldn't fail so soon :(

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It probably is covered by warranty, but that isn't something we can do here on the forums. You have to talk to your dealer.

challis

Cadet

Thats what I suspected

That sounds as if I know something. I actually read that they can fail at that location. I'm a newcomer to outdrives.

challis

Cadet

Thanks Don. Will call the dealer Monday. Appreciate the time.

-c

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There are dealer recalls concerning the newer trim pumps not holding pressure

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dollar says the white plugs on the side of the pump cover failed and pissed oil out.... My 2010 did the same thing, if your dealer tells you that you are out of warranty like mine did, call Volvo consumer affairs and complain. I did this and got the new parts sent to my dealer and I installed them. I posted a how-to on installing the new cover. Make sure you call Volvo before they start any work, if you try after the repair Volvo can't help.

challis

Cadet

Thanks for the heads-up!! The oil did appear to be oozing from the white plugs on the side of the block.

challis

Cadet

Does anyone know what the warranty period is for the Volvo Penta SX-A outdrive?