Volvo Penta SX Drive Alignment

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi, <br />Brought the proper Volvo Penta tool and can easily slide it in through the bearing upto the ridge on the tool, except that I may be 1/4inch short I just cant see it be to sure one way or the other. <br /><br />So my question is what would I expect to feel if it was out of alignment would the tool not go in very much would it be stiff. What am I looking for, I would hate to have done all the work and bugger it up at the last moment.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Chris

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo Penta SX Drive Alignment

hello <br /> the shoulder of the tool should butt up against the gimbal bearing. apply a ring of grease on the end of the tool. insert the tool and remove it without twisting it. inspect the grease. it should be smeared equally down the tool.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the tool is lacking a 1/4", it may also be due to the end of the tool being longer than the splined shaft of the drive. Look in the coupler, could be some "Crud" build up in the inside of the coupler splines.

outboardguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you want to feel bad alignment put the tool into just the gimbal bearing and move the bearing.Then restart centering the bearing,you will feel it being stiff many times before you get it right.

cmyers_uk

Thank you all for your responses. RodBolt I tried your grease method and it shows it is going right in until the end of the tool. Thanks liked that tip. <br /><br />Don, couldnt see any crud and it is a definate clack of metal on metal so with Rodbolts tip im sure Im in the full length.<br /><br />Once the second stage of the tool is in the gimbal bearing one finger will push it to the end with no problem. <br /><br />OutboardGuy, thankyou very much Im not quite sure I understand the move the bearing bit and as its sliding smoothly in and out to full length Im thinking not to move it in case I cant get it back ;)

outboardguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if the bearing is not in line with the coupler the tool will be forced a little high (for instance).The alignment tool may still be able to go all the way in but there will a considerable amount of drag,Which is what you are trying to avoid. The tool should be able to go in and out with the what some people call "two fingers".I generally try to tweak the bearing around a bit until it is apparent the problem is not in the bearing,then I proceed to moving the engine mounts.After each movement of the engine the bearing will need to be readjusted. After a while you will get it.Remember most engines will need to be raised,as the stringers and engine tend to settle after time,unless the engine was not installed properly by the manufacturer.

Don S

If you can push the alignment bar in all the way, then it's all as it should be. <br />The alignment shouldn't change, but things like soft/broken mounts, adjuster nuts loose, soft stingers, could all lead to the alignment going out. Then you would only be able to get about 1/4 to 1/2" of the bar to go in the coupler......that's not a good thing. Then you have to find the problem and fix it, or you will be pulling the engine and replacing couplers frequently.<br /><br />PS: If you replace the gimbal bearing, the inside section may have to be aligned with the coupling. This normally takes a few light taps with a rubber mallet, not banging on it with a steel hammer, to get the gimbal bearing lined up. Hard to explain, but easy to show someone what I mean.

cmyers_uk

OutboardGuy,<br /><br />Thanks for the detailed explanation I understand what you meant now and am confident all is as it should be as one finger will push it all the way in with little force. I havent removed the engine ever (4 years old) and the mounts all look in good nick.<br /><br />Don,<br /><br />As always thank you. You really cant beat being shown things, Ive got the manuals and sometimes things still are not clear but mostly its nice to get the reasurance from an expert.<br /><br /><br />Cheers Guys , now wheres the good weather!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

DonS<br /> I usually tap the side end of the tool left and right then up and down to help align the bearing. NEVER tap the tool into the bearing,coupler. I had one last summer that the guys drove it in and took me an hour to get it back out :) .

Don S

I usually tap the side end of the tool left and right then up and down to help align the bearing. NEVER tap the tool into the bearing,coupler.
Exactly! That's what I meant, just didn't say it completely.<br />We had a guy do the same thing, hammered it in, thought that would help align it. Of course he forgot the spring washer and fiber washer under the rear mounts. Beat the end of the alignment bar to death. He then wanted us to fix it. Lifted the engine to get the bar out. Had to replace the coupler (Ya should have seen those splines) and charged him for the alignment bar we let him borrow. We no longer loan them out.

jwhinerman

Cadet

I have tried to do some research on this, and even looking in the manual, but I can't find it. What is actually being aligned here? and is it necessary to align it if you remove the drive to grease the bearings and u-joints? From looking at the picture of the alignment tool, it looks like it goes through the gimble bearing, but then where? and you are not actually aligning the shaft of the drive are you?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> what is being accomplished is to line up the centerline of the gimbal bearing with the centerline of the drive shaft coupler. the coupler centerline is on the same plane as the crankshaft. if the crank,coupler and gimbal centers are all in alignment the drive shaft runs true. if not usually the splines on the coupler let go.

Don S

This picture, although from Mercruiser, will help to make rodboldt explanation easier to visualize.<br /><br />
Alignment.png

jwhinerman

Cadet

OK, so I am guessing that the gimbal bearing can pivot in its housing? also, when I put my drive back on, i put regular grease on the shaft, then I read you should use spline grease instead. Will this hurt anything?