Volvo Penta Pivot Bolt Spline Tool

baker556

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Guys,

From googling the VP pivot housing spline tool I'm receiving conflicting results, please can someone help clarify or even better link me to one.

The research has me to believe this is a 1/2 inch Allen Key or a 1/2 inch spline tool this would be a 12.7mm spline tool? Others say use a 14mm spline tool?

Help me out.

Thanks

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
I have always used the MerCruiser hinge pin tool.

Fun Times

Staff member
To try and help with this question a bit better, this may depend more on what model stern drive & transom assembly your boat happens to have. ;)

muc

I wouldn’t recommend aftermarket for this tool. I have used the OEM MerCruiser tool hundreds of times on a SX-M.

muc

I don’t know if it will or won’t. What I’m saying is that for this tool, I would recommend buying the tool from MerCruiser. I have no idea the quality level of the tool you linked to.

baker556

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So here is the dilemma.

Most people suggest a 1/2 inch allen key and this works, I've tried it - I'd like to torque this back up with a 1/2 inch socket.

The issue is, the torque is quite high and I do not want to strip the thread, to get hold of a 1/2 inch hex head on a socket is either a 12 or 13mm but most users suggests using a 14mm hex. Is this correct? Or is this meant as a 14mm spline tool and as a 1/2 inch allen is 12.7 mm.

Thoughts?

baker556

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Right from further reading, I think I've had this info wrong. From another thread someone suggested a 14mm but infact I'm lead to believe they meant an M14 = 12.5mm.

I've ordered a 12.5mm, I will update this thread.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Stop messing around with metric and imperial. In the VP manual it states use a 1/2 Allen Key.

muc

Some people buy a socket that has hex bit in it.
Some use a hacksaw and cut 1” off the allen key and put it in a socket.
Some hire a pro to do the job for them.
And others use the MerCruiser tool because it fits better.

baker556

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Some use a hacksaw and cut 1” off the allen key and put it in a socket.

Actually the best result, cheers