Volvo Penta outdrive won’t rise all the way

Wanna Tango

Cadet
I just purchased a 2000 Seaswirl Striper and I am not able to rise the outdrive all the way up. No leaks in hydraulic fluid or noticeable broken lines. Hoping it’s a quick fix. Any recommendations will help. TIA

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Are you hitting the trim limit and must use the tilt?

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There is a limiter that you might need to hold in the over ride button down while titling.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Most likely you hit trim limit and need to pull the finger trigger and the thumb switch to raise

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. Some VP need you to press and hold a separate button at the same time as pressing the up switch, to go into trailer mode and tilt beyond the upper trim position.

Wanna Tango

Cadet
Was able to go out to the boat today but unable to do any work in it or check it but looked and saw the reservoir empty of any fluid. Going to fill it and charge batteries and test.
Thanks everyone.

Wanna Tango

Cadet
Update: filled up the reservoir and went out for about 30 minutes. Came back and reservoir was empty and saw the hydraulic fluid in the bilge and under the trim/tilt motor. Not sure if leak is from the reservoir or the line.
Has anyone here changed the trim/tilt motor or reservoir? Or knows the part number for this model? I don’t see a simple way of changing it without having to remove risers and manifold on the port side.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Oildyne 108 plastic reservoir are cheap and held in to the bottom of the pump with one screw