Volvo penta out drive shift issues

Capt. ramius

Cadet
Hello

I have a volvo penta engine 2007 8.1 GXI-G with a Volvo Penta outdrive DPS - A 1.78. It will not shift from neutral to forward or reverse without bringing the RPM’S up which of course is not good. The shifter cable has been adjusted numerous times which accomplished nothing.
I installed a new cable but the problem remains identical. Any advice on what to do next would be appreciates A side note is this boat has been to a full blown boat shop twice over and I‘ve given up. Thank you

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds like the cone clutch. It needs to be replaced or removed and deglazed.

alldodge

Staff member
Thought about something else. Member @muc is an expert and has always said only use VP gear lube in their drives

Capt. ramius

Cadet
Sounds like the cone clutch. It needs to be replaced or removed and deglazed.
Been meaning to say thanks! your suggestion got me rolling. That was one big problem along with water had gotten inside. Pulled the drive and rebuilt The Whole thing. Thanks again..

Capt. ramius

Cadet
Thought about something else. Member @muc is an expert and has always said only use VP gear lube in their drives
Btw. I was also having issues with the power steering ( since repaired) at the same time as the shifting issue.. That was really fun trying to dock the boat in a strong current and a strong wind. Fighting the wheel and not wanting to shift. stressful! Thanks again.