Volvo Penta KAD 44 Shut Off above 1400rpm

mpolonia

Recruit
HI!
I've a Cranchi with 2 engines (Volvo Penta KAD 44), and one of that engines shot off after 1.400rpm.... I go to the fuse (in the black box), and the engine starts normally.... If I navigate to 1400rpm the engine doesn't shut off! If I sail above 1400rpm, after a few minutes the engine turns off again. However, whenever I turn on the fuse, the engine runs normally...
Can you help me please?
Thanks in advance
Marcos

Kingfisher1*

Recruit
I don't know if you ever got a reply but I had a similar situation. I found a plugged fuel line. First at the outlet at the fuel tank at the check valve and then the racor filter I had algae that had built up and plugged the line.

Bondo

Staff member
HI!
I've a Cranchi with 2 engines (Volvo Penta KAD 44), and one of that engines shot off after 1.400rpm.... I go to the fuse (in the black box), and the engine starts normally.... If I navigate to 1400rpm the engine doesn't shut off! If I sail above 1400rpm, after a few minutes the engine turns off again. However, whenever I turn on the fuse, the engine runs normally...
Can you help me please?
Thanks in advance
Marcos
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... It sounds like ya got a dead short in the circuit that fuse covers,....
It could be as simple as a fraid wire,... Close inspection is the only way I know of to find it,.....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. Knowing a little about these engines perhaps…I’d suggest that there isn’t anything electrical that can stop a diesel like this running, except something in relation to the fuel shut off solonoid, that operates when you turn the key to the stop position. That’s if you literally means it stops when you go above 1400 rpm.
If you mean it loses power above 1400 rpm…it’s worth being aware that on this particular engine, the supercharger provides low down boost, then clutches out when the turbo comes on boost around those rpms. You may have a turbo issue causing it to be struggling for air. Be good to know more