Volvo Penta KAD 300 power steering issue

buli

Cadet
Hi!

I got Cranchi 33 Endurance offshore 2002. It has twin volvo penta kad 300 diesel engines.

I got issue with steering. When engines are running the steering is very stiff. I can turn steering wheel easily about about 90° and after that i ned two hads to turn. When engines are not running, the steering is ok. Where to start to find issue? is it bad to take power steering belt off and drive without it?

Sorry for my bad english, writing here from Finland :) hope u get what i am trying to explain :)

alldodge

Staff member
Would need to know which steering system is on the boat. If it uses standard teleflex or similar hydraulic steering, I would check the fluid level. Its checked at the helm and might also need to be bleed

buli

Cadet
teleflex sounds familiar, need to check it tomorrow. I checked fluid level. in helm was ok, but in engine room there was too much oil. I waas driving couple hours an then checked. see pic.

Attachments

• fluidlevel.jpeg
    fluidlevel.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 4

buli

Cadet
I tried bleeding but didnt see any air coming out.

While turning steering wheel, recognized that when i first turn full right, and then full left and then start turning again right, the fille cap in steering wheel lets air and fluid out.

alldodge

Staff member
The manual shows to connect the bottle with a tube connected to the fill port. This will let air out and keep oil filled. By turning wheel each way and seeing nothing come out, and then the second time and seeing air and then fluid, would tell me there is air being purged somewhere

alldodge

Staff member
Please look at the manual. The cap is removed tube attached to bottle and bottle is upside down feeding helm

buli

Cadet
We bled the system today with power purge jr machine. There was some air coming out but feeling with steering didnt change. I didnt go for test drive tough.

We noticed that one shaft in steering is moving bit sticky. Is it normal? See video.
View attachment IMG_0785.MOV

alldodge

Staff member
If the steering is a seastar or teleflex type steering, then the motor doesn't need to be running for it to work. If its still hard to turn with motor running and in gear, the its either the helm or steering cylinder issues

buli

Cadet
I think that one rod is not in its place. The one in video i attached.

buli

Cadet
Now i have done:
-Bled system with power purge junior
-Connected power steering rod back in its place
-Checked leaks (didnt find any)

I recognized belt whining between 1500-3000rpm on that engine with power steering pump. Didnt check which belt makes noice. It starts same time that superchargers kick in, but i checked that supercharger belt condition is ok, tension is ok and belt tensioner is ok.

What to do next?

alldodge

Staff member
I recognized belt whining between 1500-3000rpm on that engine with power steering pump.

There should not be a power steering pump. The Seastar/Teleflex steering is fully self contained and does not have a pump. When the wheel is turned its similar to a bottle jack where a small pump causes the bottle jack to lift. Where as the wheel is the small pump, moving the rudder cylinder

If you have a pump connected to the rudder cylinder I need to see what kind it is and how its connected

buli

Cadet
There should not be a power steering pump. The Seastar/Teleflex steering is fully self contained and does not have a pump. When the wheel is turned its similar to a bottle jack where a small pump causes the bottle jack to lift. Where as the wheel is the small pump, moving the rudder cylinder

If you have a pump connected to the rudder cylinder I need to see what kind it is and how its connected
I have system like this: https://www.volvopenta.com/shop/522744/part-sections/54169466

alldodge

Staff member
Will take me some looking to know exactly how it functions, but my guess is its similar to other types.

The wheel is moved which applies pressure on one side or the other of a valve back by the steering cylinder. Applying pressure opens the valve which sends high pressure fluid from the power steering pump into the cylinder. If wheel stops, valve closes, or if it goes the other way, the opposite side of the valve opens.

When this happens to a small boat the first think that is looked at is the pumps reservoir and is it full. If full the need to measure pressure from the pump. Mercruiser runs around 1200 psi (85 Bar)