Volvo Penta DP_SM outdrive stuck on the boat

Don Slaw

Recruit
I need to replace my Bellows. Exhaust bellows is ripped, but the U-Joint bellows still in tack. Anyways, I got the shop manual, took off the shift cable, I removed the hydraulic lifters, supported the drive with a motorcycle Jack, took off the 6 nuts holding the outdrive to the gimble collar, and nothing happened. I could not get one millimeter of separation between the drive and the collar. Spray with PB-Blaster, whacked with a leather mallet, nothing happened. I attached the outdrive to my truck with a rope through the lifting pin hole and gently pulled back. All that did was move the boat on the trailer. No separation. I put everything back together and went away defeated.

Is there a special trick to separate the drive. I even tried a little heat along the joint between the drive and the collar. What gives???:mad-new:

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Volvo Penta DP_SM outdrive stuck on the boat

Used in salt water by chance? Never had the drive off prior for service? Corrosion around the 6 mounting studs is likely the culprit- I also suggest not pulling on a bolt in the lifting pin hole unless you want to purchase a new upper gearcase bearing cover- they cost about $250. Ask me how I know.... Do you see any white or yellowish powder around the studs? Cut right to the chase and try to double nut the studs and back them out of the pivot housing. If that doesn't work, pull the pivot ring pins and then pull the pivot ring, pivot housing and outdrive off so you can work on the whole frozen contraption on the bench.

I've been down this road a few months ago - took the better part of a month to get it off.

See here.....